Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I am subbed to emails from Pilotworkshops and this week they sent a link to an interesting video about inflight fires and how to manage them.

The proposed method was something I was taught during my FAA CPL training but I cannot remember having any similar training when I did the PPL syllabus for my CAA ticket.

From my own experience I can vouch that the proposed method works.

http://www.pilotworkshop.com/rod/emergencies-video
rats404, Spooky, G-BLEW and 5 others liked this
Interesting video! :thumright:

There was a discussion about this a few years ago on the COPA forum with particular reference to whether you get on the ground faster doing a forced landing or by using the BRS.

A very well respected Cirrus instructor flew a series of tests and demonstrated that the fastest way to get on the ground safely in a Cirrus was to do an emergency descent to 2000 ft, slow the aircraft and then pull the chute. (No, he didn't actually pull, but simulator tests do bear it out!)

Obviously, other BRS equipped aircraft may vary!
marioair wrote:by marioair » 20 Mar 2017 22:01
Never try something you've not practised! Emergency's descent + 60deg bank + trying to enter a side slip could end up with nasty spin!

Not unless you don't know the difference between a side slip and a skid. A side slip is about the most anti-spin configuration an aircraft can be in outside of straight and level flight.

Great video though. I particularly enjoyed the warning regarding spinning deliberately in order to lose height quickly. As a regular recreational spinner, it may well have been something I would consider in the event of an in-flight fire, but no more. I'll go for the slipping spiral descent now.