Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By pplmeir
I see the SEP CRI privileged needs 300 hours for which the course hours itself (which are a few in an airplane) can count to that.

A friend of mine is interested in obtaining this rating, but has 275 hours in an airplane but around 20 hours in FNPT2 simulator.

Do the 20 hours in the FNPT2 count towards the 300 ?
By Balliol
No - it is also worth questioning what the candidate think he/she is going to do with the rating with only the minimum hours to be honest.
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I agree with Balliol: experience gained in a FNPTII does not count towards the 300hours as flight time on aeroplanes in the CRI SE prerequisites.

Cookie
By flybymike
Balliol wrote:No - it is also worth questioning what the candidate think he/she is going to do with the rating with only the minimum hours to be honest.

Presumably the same things they would do if they had more hours.

Is 300 hours inadequate? What number should be required? Should we let integrated route first officers loose in an airliner with only a couple of hundred hours?
By Bathman
300 hours with the CRI rating in many ways is irrelevant. If they meet the standard then they meet the standard.

I know of ex Air Cadet Gliding instructors getting through in bare minimums. Same with FAA instructors and I suspect it would be the same for microlight instructors as well.

I have also heard of people with no instructional background taking 20 plus hours.
By Balliol
Exactly Bathman, all of the CRIs who I know who have gone on to use the rating had something to offer like tailwheel, touring experience etc. Those who just had 'vanilla' SEP experience have struggled to actually use it. I just caution rather than try to discourage as for some people the money and time may be better spent on acquiring other skills / qualifications.
By ak7274
It ain't easy mate. I felt that I was under the mill all week, but what a rush to pass the course.

300 hours SEP in a Cherokee flying around the lighthouse every week, or 300 hours in different aircraft going places or upside down and into various types of airfields?
By gaznav
Here is a CRI related question - can you conduct CRI privileges with a self declared medical if the declaration is valid for your PPL and aircraft type?
By gaznav
Looking at another thread, I think I have the answer. In short, no you can't fly on a self declaration as the privileges it gives are only to LAPL - and you can't add a CRI to a LAPL.

I think that is right...
By flybymike
And I suspect it isn't.
Licences and ratings confer privileges (rather than "medicals,") but others more qualified may comment.