For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
[quote="Spooky"he plucked up the courage to ask a girl he liked "Baise-moi" . He received a slap to his hopeful grin. He had wanted to say "kiss me"!
[/quote]

Laughed out loud at that one. French is a nightmare :)

My high school French teacher spent his summers in France as a kid. Telling his younger (French) cousins to hurry up through the park every day, he couldn't understand why every day they kept looking up the trees and shaking their heads.

He was shouting "des pêches, des pêches!"

Camping holiday in France with a mate when were 16, met up with another Scot in a local bar. He was about 20 or 21, and doing quite well with a very attractive french lass. The toilet wasn't working in the bar, so announced to her he was going for "pisser dans la bush". I'm guessing she heard bouche...and he didn't see her for dust!
Spooky liked this
By Korenwolf
And when in France, one must be careful with place names.....a friend of mine has a son who is engaged to a French girl; her family is from Normandy so they've been to visit. During conversation, he mentioned that they would like to see Caen, except he pronounced it "con"..... he got an admonishment from his prospective in-laws!

"con" being French for something with which a lady is equipped, but a gentleman is not :oops:
By OCB
PeteSpencer wrote:Interesting that the French call a 'French letter' a 'capote anglaise'.....

I asked my francophone wife if she knew what that meant. She said "I think it's a condom".
Alas, she doesn't know the etymology.
By OCB
[quote="Korenwolf"

"con" being French for something with which a lady is equipped, but a gentleman is not :oops: [/quote]

The ability to spend an inordinate amount of time on Facebook??

BTW, you'd be surprised how little Frenchies care about the whole Caen pronunciation.
By OCB
from the "other side".
Be careful with "rosbif" - aka "roast beef". The closest it gets to "roasted" was probably the cow walking past a candle at 50 yards. It's basically raw beef.
"Preparé/Filet Américain" - raw mince with paprika. Kinda like beef burger, but before it's cooked.
Crème Anglais - Custard....but not anything any custard you'd have as an Anglais. It's more like sweet yellow water.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Continuing this borderline French thread:
It is interesting to note that many of the medical/anatomical terms as well as schoolboy slang terms for the female naughty bits (including the one mentioned in posts above) are indeed masculine in gender......

Work that out.... :wink:
By OCB
PeteSpencer wrote:(la) creme anglaise

I'm doing my lysdexic engineer rationalisation of that highly inefficient/redundant language one post at a time :wink:
By OCB
PeteSpencer wrote:Continuing this borderline French thread:
It is interesting to note that many of the medical/anatomical terms as well as schoolboy slang terms for the female naughty bits (including the one mentioned in posts above) are indeed masculine in gender......

Work that out.... :wink:

Makes about as much sense as a wet Mercredi in Mulhouse.

Yes, the Roman might have given us a lot - but at least the English language gave up the gender and declination nonsense.

many funny stories over the years meeting those of different languages. Serbian for instance doesn't have the indefinite article. The conceptual "chair" or "beach" doesn't exist.