Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Pilot Pete
Hi, has anyone got information or a good suggestion for a location convenient for Wath upon Dearne please.
We've used the strip at Finningley (really great strip and lovely guys) but in actual fact the road trip was nearly 50 mins despite internet predictions.
Doncaster would probably be quicker but my main enquiry, is incase someone knows of a secret strip nearby that despite my searching, I've failed to find

Thanks.
P.
At the risk of being obvious, Skydemon shows Netherthorpe and Walton Wood on the correct side of Doncaster for Wath.

For visiting my family in Armthorpe I usually use Sandtoft but that is pretty inconvenient for Wath. Gamston is also nice but not much better for Wath. Doncaster itself has become more reasonably priced and with the new road to M18 junction 3 much better for the onward journey than it was .
Pilot Pete liked this
others may also remember:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Doncaster

It was reported that during municipal discussions on whether to keep it open, RAF Finningley being then strictly military only, one Councillor said 'Doncaster does not need an airfield; it's a railway town' :roll:
pilotbarry liked this
kanga wrote:others may also remember:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Doncaster

It was reported that during municipal discussions on whether to keep it open, RAF Finningley being then strictly military only, one Councillor said 'Doncaster does not need an airfield; it's a railway town' :roll:

Yeah so they closed Doncaster Airport (just opposite the racecourse) and built the new football stadium there. Football = more income than avation.
Many thanks for the replies guys.
I was always wondering if I could get ridiculously lucky and find a friendly private strip close by for a few visits a year.
However google maps puts Walton Wood 23 mins away which is great.
I hadn't seen it in previous searches so thanks very much for that.
The power of the forum again!
Walton Wood gets very waterlogged this time of year and is boggy now. It is also crossed by a public footpath (though this is seldom used). It is in essence a helicopter maintenance base. They have avgas but I would suggest phoning them re runway condition, or deferring your trip to the summer.
There is also a (short) farm strip at Wentbridge. The owner operates a Murphy rebel from it, but I think it's only about 350 m. You could also look at Askern.
Pilot Pete liked this
By muffin
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Apart from being waterlogged at this time of year, WW is a nice little flat strip with good approaches at each end. If you ask them nicely, the guys at the helicopter hangar may well give you a lift locally although there is a bus that goes right past there. I had my R22 maintained there for several years and found them very helpful and friendly. It is also a safe place to leave your aircraft as there is somebody there during normal working hours to keep an eye on it.
Pilot Pete liked this