Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
They fly past our place some evenings along H3 between about 11pm and 1 am, I've even seen them at 4.30 am (I was out in the garden killing slugs if you MUST know). Even living in 'posh' Surrey, nobody seems to mind least of all us.
By Chris Martyr
Same thing in rural Sussex. But isn't it only because we live in quieter rural locations that low flying military hardware is , by contrast , so noticeable.
People who complain about military training ruining their "peace" really need a good kicking in my opinion.
As for the shrieking, whooping adrenaline monkeys on the zip-line,,,,well I'm sure the lads from Hereford could weave a little 'silencing techniques' into their training and 'snap 'em shut' in no time.
By DarrenL
One has just a few minutes ago made my house shudder. No doubt there's been a little local tutting, but most people I know would instead pop outside and try and spot it like I do.
By Nomad63
Ha, my sister lives close, she has even complained to me about the noise from Hot air balloons when they light their burners overhead.

silly old sausage :lol:

I think the council put something in the water , that mixes with hormones to create a permanent state of outrage :shock:
Nick liked this
By Ian Melville
Russ_H wrote:Ha, my sister lives close, she has even complained to me about the noise from Hot air balloons when they light their burners overhead.

silly old sausage :lol:

I think the council put something in the water , that mixes with hormones to create a permanent state of outrage :shock:

The burners can frighten livestock, and I know of a couple of balloonists that have what are called 'cow burners', a much softer noise, for that reason.
I'll leave you to decide if that is appropriate for your sister :D
By neaton
Ian Melville wrote:The burners can frighten livestock, and I know of a couple of balloonists that have what are called 'cow burners', a much softer noise, for that reason.
I'll leave you to decide if that is appropriate for your sister :D

Pigs absolutely hate them and will panic badly if one lights off at low level. As I understand it, it's not uncommon for herds to be marked on balloonists' charts as "avoid" areas.
By Cns416
Well I'm not surprised they are moaning about the woka.
We now get them regularly following a recent RAF "re-organisation".
One has just past me as I was reading this thread.
Not only can I hear it approaching - this one I could actually feel the vibration though the floorboards in the house through the soles of my slippers.
Tiresome is the word......
By fcalio
I used to work in a building which stood more or less alone on top of a prominent hill in Hampshire. We used to see the Chinooks on a daily basis flying past, below the level of the building - which we all rather enjoyed. I'm sure it was quite deliberate when they would fly over the car park extremely low and set off all the car alarms.

One day, I looked up from my desk to see one coming straight for me - literally at eye level. I was in the process of ducking for cover when the pilot turned the thing over on its side - the pressure wave from the rotors made the windows visibly vibrate to the point that I thought they were coming in. Marvellous! :thumleft: