Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

Have you ever had an engine failure in an SEP?

Yes, total
21%
Yes, partial
29%
No, never
50%
By Ben K
One partial which actually turned out to be a maintenance-induced prop issue. No dramas.

Although the trial lesson stude got a slightly more interesting flight than they'd paid for.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Turbo charger failure just at the point of rotation in a C206.

My abiding memory of the incident was just how difficult it was to bring the aeroplane back under ground control when one is actually psyched up for a take off and not a landing.
By Lefty
2Donkeys wrote:One full failure in an SEP - a con rod broke on my Turbo Arrow IV above cloud over the Irish sea. Force landed in a field short of Dublin airport - no damage.

One partial failure in an MEP.

Bet you were getting ready for a cold swim on that one - and not a lot of empty fields between the coast and Dublin airport (except just on the coast). :D
2Donkeys liked this
By AerBabe
The only one I've had was upside-down in a Chippy. But because it was completely expected, I'd been briefed on it by the instructor, and the recovery was as planned, I selected 'no'.

What would be really interesting, but beyond the capability of forum voting software, is number of engine failures vs total hours flown.
By rf3flyer
Jetblu wrote:One full failure in 35 years of flying and probably in the worst place imaginable - near FIR English Channel. [ditched]

Was that in a Stampe, by any chance?
By foxmoth
In 45 years of flying I have had a number of full engine stops but all associated with aeros, on all but one I managed to restart and continue but one Moth flight it stopped on a stall turn and did not restart in time so ended up in a field, restarted after a short pause and flew out again.
Also a partial just after TO that resulted in a low circuit to land.
The other partial was in a rather bigger aircraft after taking a Swan through the engine!
By Jetblu
rf3flyer wrote:
Jetblu wrote:One full failure in 35 years of flying and probably in the worst place imaginable - near FIR English Channel. [ditched]

Was that in a Stampe, by any chance?

No. Turbo Lance II
By mick w
Rob P wrote:I have had the engine in the Colt stop on multiple occasions, that's only because on longer flights it was customary to run the cruise tank dry (in lieu of a decent in-cockpit indication)

I certainly don't count these as failures, simply s.o.p.

Rob P

Done it a couple of times to time the reserve . :thumright:
By Paultheparaglider
There used to be a saying for microlights. There are those of us who have had an engine failure, and those of us who will.

My list:

3rd solo. Pop rivets holding in baffle on highly tuned 2 stroke fractured. Baffle fell into prop and shot up through the wing.

Self induced. Cut engine deliberately on 2 stroke twin after climbing to 8500 ft to glide down. Intention to restart at 1500 ft. Couldn't get it to pull start, and plugs were very rich and sooted on post landing inspection. No leaning possible.

Coil failed on one cylinder of 2 stroke twin, so partial only, but not enough power left to maintain height.

Rocker broke on 4 stroke twin. Ended up on Roedean hockey pitches.

Gearbox failed on 2 stroke twin. Engine still running fine.

Electrical failure on friends 2 stroke shortly after takeoff.

Paramotoring single 2 stroke engine stopped on final glide. No drama at all.

In all cases, the aircraft were undamaged. Some luck was definitely involved in a few, though. :wink:
By GrahamB
Grumpy One wrote:0 x engine failures in about 4500hrs SEP fixed wing flying. :thumleft:

Cough...... :wink:
By Groundspeed
Did you retain the prop on your gearbox failure Paul? An instructor, flying a Shadow, that I knew had his prop depart when his gearbox failed.
He set himself up for a nice descent only to find that he had to evade the prop which seemed intent on following him. He landed without further damage with an interesting tale to tell, which he told very well.
By rohmer
One full failure - A65 in Jodel D112 failed on closing throttle in flare due to carb idle setting being too slow.
One partial due to assumed vapour lock on climbout after Fournier had cooked for a few hours in the midday sun. Manage to climb to circuit height by ridge soaring until cool fuel flowed through. Repainted coaming over fuel tank white rather than previous matt black.
By flybymike
Rocker broke on 4 stroke twin. Ended up on Roedean hockey pitches.

I can think of worse places to force land.....