Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Charles Hunt
Thread title and first post spread confusion.

Fanstop is for an engine failure on take off.

For the scenario in the OP as others have said this is a glide approach.

At Fairoaks the RT would be

" Golf XX, downwind, glide approach."

"Report commencing glide."

and that's about it.
flyingeeza liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I like to do "expedited" approaches. Full flap on t'Dog gets you down at a fair rate. If you don't warn them, often people will enter the runway for departure thinking they have time to get away before you arrive. This may not be the case. (A/G, or A/A, though with AFIS or ATC they may give instructions for lining up)
By flyingeeza
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I like to do "expedited" approaches. Full flap on t'Dog gets you down at a fair rate. If you don't warn them, often people will enter the runway for departure thinking they have time to get away before you arrive. This may not be the case. (A/G, or A/A, though with AFIS or ATC they may give instructions for lining up)

Yep, at DX the tower need to know what to expect from us numpties in the circuit lest they give clearance to another aircraft to line up as we come bombing in with a pseudo dead stick.

A bit of consideration goes a long way at Duxford!
By rich_g85
matthew_w100 wrote:
Talkdownman wrote:
matthew_w100 wrote:My airfield (full ATC) requires that you ask and get permission to do a glide approach, let alone a fanstop.

Which is normal within a controlled environment.

Is it - why? Genuine question - does it make that much difference when you're controlling? Half my landings seem to turn into glide approaches anyway, having been brought up on microlights and being pathologically averse to reducing power!

A glide approach can either screw your plan completely, or help you out massively. It's nice to know in advance which it's going to be! :D
flyingeeza liked this