Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
There are both technical (engineering and software) and logistical challenges to overcome. For instance, if everyone suddenly takes to the drones and leave their cars behind, won't we just move the traffic jams to the air, as a logistical challenge.

Though, at an £11m price tag, I can imagine the taxi fare to be a bit more than even taking a limo somewhere... so I doubt too many people will take to the skies on it, even after economies of scale bring the price down a bit.

Still, I wouldn't mind it.
By AlanB
I reckon it is safe enough, when compared to say an R22 which uses a reciprocating engine, and a rubber band to tie this to some very light rotors, and a skilful pilot needed.

The only thing that concerns me is that a quad design (albeit with 8 motors) if you lose an entire corner, then presumably the thing can't fly unless the flight control algorithms can handle that (I don't know what the chance of this is, but something like a goose could probably take out 2 motors).

Maybe a hexacopter (with 8 engines) design would provide better redundancy, or even an automatically deploying low altitude parachute. Actually, I wonder if you could use an airbag system (as in the mars rovers) if altitude was limited to say 400' AGL. With enough of these flying around our large cities, presumably they could coordinate between themselves and slot into 'drone airways'....

The technology is certainly advanced enough to do it these days, but I'd want multiple redundant flight control systems and no single point of failure.
Regulators and other system safety assessment professionals have repeatedly reminded me over recent months that having lots of identical items does not necessarily give you redundancy because you could have common mode failures (temperature, humidity, software, electromagnetic interference and so on) that affect them all simultaneously or common links say a single power supply. These things are never simple.
Dave W liked this
By neilld
According to the website the maximum battery capacity is 17 kWh which with a duration of 25 minutes (neglecting reserves) suggests an AVERAGE power from all motors of c.40kW.
Using the available power (152 kW) for any amount of time will seriously reduce the duration.
You then have to wait one hour to recharge before the next mission (assuming a fast recharge facility is available at the destination - four hours if not).
I doubt this will be a practical proposition.
By neilld
JoeC wrote:It's a solution looking for a problem.

I think it has enough problems of its own.
My contact in UAE was not aware of this project but added that he would be reluctant to use any kind of taxi service in Dubai be it land, air, manned or unmanned.
AlanB wrote:.... With enough of these flying around our large cities, presumably they could coordinate between themselves and slot into 'drone airways'...

A bit like the current road users cannot happily coordinate themselves without doing something stupid on a daily basis somewhere in the country. (even if it is an honest mistake in some instances).