Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Talkdownman
Brad2523 wrote:
Talkdownman wrote:
Brad2523 wrote:The FISO is to be informed prior to take-off of the intention to practice an engine failure

Why?

I don't write the flying orders, I just have to read them, agree to them and sign them if I want to fly out of Duxford... It's their airfield so I play by their rules. They are clear that if you break their rules they will kick you off the based pilots list. I know it is strictly enforced as well.

The effort of popping your head in the tower to mention what you would like to do compared to the effort of having to re-apply to the based pilots list when they boot you out for ignoring their orders is minimal.... So that's what I will do and would advise anyone else flying from DX to do!

Edited to add: The guys in the tower are very friendly and will let you know if there are any going's on that may be handy to know about... They are very accommodating so I always pop my head in regardless to what I'm doing just so they know what I'm up to.

I'll read all that as a 'don't know', then :thumright:
Brad2523 liked this
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
That's a bit harsh TDM, no?
Whereas AFIS cannot object to anything you do in the air (and A/G cannot object to anything at all...), I do think that it is useful for them to know that you plan a fanstop as it means you will be occupying the extended centreline at a low level for longer than you would normally be, and if they know so, they can manage the ground situation better and/or provide more relevant information to other a/c in the circuit. It will also prevent them from pressing the red button when they notice you dive for the ground after take off...
Whether it should be as draconian as'if you don't tell us, we will kick you out' is another question but it is not necessarily worse than many other rules set by local airfields...

But back to the OP - a glide approach is something different from a fanstop. Again, you are under no obligation at a sub-ATC airfield to tell anyone anything, but doing so makes sense as you are likely to be cutting corners in the circuit and letting the tower (and other aircraft on frequency) know that you may be in places they would not normally look for you strikes me as a good thing. But it should suffice to do so when you are in the circuit, i.e. on downwind. Since you may choose to do so when returning from a cross-country flight, it cannot be expected that you tell the tower before departure...
Having said that, choosing to do 'unusual circuits' in a busy period on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and will probably not make many new friends ;)

Morten
By Morten
OK :) But do you think it is reasonable for tower (whether AFIS or A/G) to ask to be aware of a practice EFATO?
By SteveC
Morten wrote:OK :) But do you think it is reasonable for tower (whether AFIS or A/G) to ask to be aware of a practice EFATO?

Nope.
By Talkdownman
Morten wrote:do you think it is reasonable for tower (whether AFIS or A/G) to ask to be aware of a practice EFATO?

No. I do not consider it necessary.

Otherwise we'll be pre-notifying go-arounds next.

It's bad enough having to pre-book circuits.
By Cessna57
For clarity for anyone at DX.

*Some* views expressed by others in this thread are not my views, and having signed and wanting to abide by the flying orders in place at DX, I won't be taking them on board.

Just saying.
By Talkdownman
matthew_w100 wrote:My airfield (full ATC) requires that you ask and get permission to do a glide approach, let alone a fanstop.

Which is normal within a controlled environment.
By PeteSpencer
matthew_w100 wrote:My airfield (full ATC) requires that you ask and get permission to do a glide approach, let alone a fanstop.

The point is, in Duxford's case, that a ''fanstop"- let's avoid that horrible term-deliberately closing the throttle on the downwind leg of 23 to attempt a glide approach is likely to bring the OP into the very same conflict with the no-go areas of Duxford village that a practice EFATO on 06 (which is banned) would if he needs to cut in on base leg....

Hence my question was he planning on staying within the airfield boundary for the glide approach, which might be a tad tricky.

Peter
Cessna57 liked this
By matthew_w100
Talkdownman wrote:

Which is normal within a controlled environment.

Is it - why? Genuine question - does it make that much difference when you're controlling? Half my landings seem to turn into glide approaches anyway, having been brought up on microlights and being pathologically averse to reducing power!
By flyingeeza
PeteSpencer wrote:
Hence my question was he planning on staying within the airfield boundary for the glide approach, which might be a tad tricky.
Peter

I practice those regularly at DX. I request a glide landing on the wireless while early downwind and have never had any problem.

Fly a glide path just inside the M11 which leaves loads of time to turn onto final for a deeper than usual touchdown. If you do happen to have a load of excess speed or height, land even deeper. But if in doubt, go around and have another go at it!

No big deal, when you request your taxi instructions for circuits, mention then that you will be chopping the throttle at some stage on downwind for a practice glide landing. Do not call "practice engine failure"!! The words "engine failure" may not be used during the practice! Ask me how I know this... :oops:
The 06 end doesn't matter too much, but the tower chaps do appreciate a heads-up or a request to muck about.

One thing to really keep in mind is the possible false visual perception of your speed as you get low in the final turn. That is where the old stall-spin monster can bite your ass!

Enjoy!
Cessna57 liked this
By Talkdownman
matthew_w100 wrote:Is it - why? Genuine question - does it make that much difference when you're controlling?

Can affect timing of runway occupancy. Depends on mix of traffic e.g.airliners with light aircraft circuit-bashing, with circuits light and variable, bomber or otherwise. Hence various 'tools' such as orbit/extend/return to the deadside etc. Often used if jet is running late within its flow regulation slot, the missing of which could incur a lengthy delay. Bournemouth is one sort of place I have in mind.

(Anyway, aren't all questions on here genuine?)
matthew_w100 liked this
By PeteSpencer
flyingeeza wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:
Peter

I practice those regularly at DX. I request a glide landing on the wireless while early downwind and have never had any problem.

Fly a glide path just inside the M11 which leaves loads of time to turn onto final for a deeper than usual touchdown. If you do happen to have a load of excess speed or height, land even deeper. But if in doubt, go around and have another go at it!

Right:
That answers my question
Thank You

Peter