Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Thats it really,
Are they stripped down re wound, bearing changed, brushes changed, springs re sprung, diodes lubricated( Im showing my ignorance here as I don't believe diodes are involved) or is it just a bench check and a paperwork exercise ?
£1000 every 500 hrs (if lucky) hours seems a bit steep to me.

A few years back we had a recently O/H one play up and I'm might be wrong but from memory the guarantee was only 3 months.

I did a search and couldn't find an answer so apologies if previously answered.

Cheers J
patowalker liked this
Points, bearings, capacitor being replaced. Gears checked for wear and replaced if needed, P gap re-adjusted, cap checked for cracks and contacts being checked for wear. Clean, lubricate and have a shiny new paint. Have I forgotten something?
Magnetos do not require overhauling every 500 hours.

It is a myth.

A Service Bulletin came out years ago suggesting an inspection at 500 hours but it was nothing more than that. All the mags I have had, had a similar service life as the engine - 2000 hours.

If it ain't broke, if it is still working - leave it alone :mrgreen:
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If it ain't broke, if it is still working - leave it alone 

Not quite! Old, lacquer-potted windings are susceptible to cracking, damp-ingress and eventual breakdown....but unusual in anything under 30 years old .
Modern Epoxy-potting is "fit and forget "
A hypodermic syringe can be used to lubricate ballraces NOTE 1/3 full MAX.
Sliprings usually have a brass contact-pad and sometimes this wears at a different rate to the rest of the (plastic) ring. Skimming the surface to remove any step will lengthen the life of the contact-brush, which will, in turn, reduce carbon-dust and the possibility of tracking and shorting.

POINTS ! they wear, the "heel" that rides the cam wears. Normally, there's a grease-soaked pad that should lubricate the cam........it takes a "set" sometimes it's possible to turn it over and then the bend actually improves the pressure.

The points themselves are normally a tungsten facing on a small post.....one will ALWAYS build a lump, the other a crater (DC current,tiny spark every time they open, think arc-welder)
Polish with a whetstone / wet and dry paper (600 grit is OK) a magneto/Swiss/Warding file may be needed first , to reduce the "pip" .

The "gap" is absolutely critical for optimum performance, as it determines at what point in the armature's rotation, the optimum flux-collapse occurs. The timing of the magnetic "break " is part and parcel of this.

I suspect a lot of Mag troubles are caused by poor points-maintenance.

Lastly, the capacitor...they're cheap, they quench the spark at the points, thus lengthening their life and preserving timing. The quenching also ensures a much quicker collapse of the primary-winding current. - this, in turn, gives a stronger induction into the secondary-winding = a fatter spark!

There's plenty of info "on the net" for those seriously interested.

by and large this "dump or overhaul " business, strikes me as a total con-trick.

Bead-blasting and painting are purely cosmetic. the major issues are points and bearings...they're the wearing bits.

If dismantling, be aware some designs have paper insulators around the armature- bearings. they must be in place and intact!

hth.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Despite having an old Crypton, with a proper 'scope, I never tried it....I was able to pick the pulses off an early Bosch ECU, fitted to a V-8 Merc.....it was only firing on 4, ....replaced the huge cast-alloy box in the side of the passenger footwell.....and it started on all 8.....owner never had any more problems...odd!
forgot to say, you can mark a mag as appropriate, and use a strobe to set the points. (pick up HT trigger pulse as usual, use a separate to power the light..... still have a dwell-meter and a timing light!.
Trent772 wrote:Magnetos do not require overhauling every 500 hours.

It is a myth.

A Service Bulletin came out years ago suggesting an inspection at 500 hours but it was nothing more than that. All the mags I have had, had a similar service life as the engine - 2000 hours.

If it ain't broke, if it is still working - leave it alone :mrgreen:

Am not sure. I think that the Slick has to be done every 500h, the Bendix are 'recommended'.

Edit:
Made more digging and found that there is a SB on the Slicks while Bendix recommends. The Slicks were/are known to go downhill fast around the 500h mark to the point that in some cases it is cheaper to buy new.