For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paultheparaglider wrote:I realise it is bucking the trend here, but I worked for many years as an expatriate for a company where the human resources team were first rate. Hard working, professional, and extremely well organised.

And, most importantly as it hasn't had a mention yet, my salary always arrived in my bank account on time. :wink:

Fair point and I must admit that 20 years ago when I too was an expat both the UK and host country HR were very supportive and having such good support meant that I could get with working knowing that my wife and children had the support of a network of people who really did care.

Wind the clock forward a few years and when I returned to the UK support from HR was OK'ish. But as the years have ticked by HR became less and less supportive of individuals and more concerned with protecting the company.

In more recent years as a member of the management team I found myself caught up in various disciplinary matters where I found the position and attitude of HR quite distasteful. Trying to deal with a real "bad 'un" in the workforce and they put on the kid gloves. Put someone in front of them who had clearly made a one off (out of character) mistake and they took them to the cleaners. Talk about going for the low hanging fruit, it was dreadful.

Then when the time came for my redundancy HR contrived with senior management to make a case that really wasn't there. But once the decision had been made (and they saw that I accepted it - I saw it as a blessing in disguise) they couldn't have been more helpful.
By Rob P
That I can't 'like' the Admin Team's post on the locked thread.

Rob P
kanga, jerry_atrick liked this
By stevelup
I didn't see the original thread before it was zapped so can't comment.

I think the fact that those particular four scumbags have lost their latest legal battle is nothing but a good thing though, and I can't see anything contentious in expressing that opinion.

Anyway, back onto what annoys you...

Driving home last night at about midnight, I encountered the many and inevitable sets of major temporary motorway roadworks in various places. In particular, these were ones where the hard shoulder and all but one offside lane were closed, and everyone gets funnelled to the right.

Without fail, at every single one of these despite all the sane and decent people getting over well in advance, some utter tw@ (or indeed a cluster of them) would come haring down at 90 mph and force their way in deep into the coned section causing everyone else to brake and putting the workers at risk.

In one instance, the car in front of me had to slam his brakes on so hard that it triggered my pre-crash system. If the guy hadn't braked, the complete cockwomble who was undertaking would have ended up through the cones. You know what the complete prat did then? Started flashing his foglights at the guy who had been forced to brake and gesticulating out of the window. As if he was at fault.

The number of times, I wished I was an unmarked police car last night beggared belief.

And I have some statistics* here. All but one of the offenders were in Audis. I swear I am not making this up. One of the cars did the exact same thing at two sets of roadworks.

* yeah yeah... I know
By stevelup
I suspect you are attempting to wind me up because I find it difficult to imagine that you believe undertaking a line of cars who are doing 50mph at in excess of 80mph, then forcing your way in with metres to spare before the cones fully narrow is anything other than utterly tw@ish behaviour.
By PeteSpencer
Back to the thread:

Radio adverts for cars, services etc where the 'small print ' Ts & Cs are rattled off like a machine gun at the end of the ad ,rendering them virtually un intelligible ; and all because the advertiser is too tight fisted to pay for a few more seconds of airtime :roll:
By matthew_w100
stevelup wrote:I suspect you are attempting to wind me up because I find it difficult to imagine that you believe undertaking a line of cars who are doing 50mph at in excess of 80mph, then forcing your way in with metres to spare before the cones fully narrow is anything other than utterly tw@ish behaviour.

No, I was trying to get clarity on the situation you were describing - what do the signs instruct you to do. Because driving in a lane further to the right than you need or have been instructed to be in is also tw@tish beghaviour. And one of my major "what annoys you"s.

And coat hangers, of course.
By stevelup
I possibly didn't explain correctly. Lane 1 and Lane 2 were closed. Matrix signs flashing red above. This was after two miles of progressive speed reductions and arrows moving everyone to the right.

We were already well into the section where the cones had begun with the actual closure, and despite this numerous cars still came flying down lanes 1 + 2 and forced their way in right at the end with just metres to spare.

It was just thoroughly bad behaviour, no two ways about it.
By flybymike
Rob P wrote:That I can't 'like' the Admin Team's post on the locked thread.

Rob P

Receiving an email with a link to a thread to which I'm subscribed only to find that I'm "not authorised to read the thread" and that it has disappeared from the face of the planet.
By jerry_atrick
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
JoeC wrote:Were they not interested in policy and planning on getting the best of people, recruitment, training, organisational development to help the company achieve its objectives and all that good stuff?

Hah, you're joking aren't you? Ours are there to find the best way to make the only people left, the good people who we rely on, redundant.

Gawd.. I mus be really carp at my job; been waiting for redundancy for three years :shock:

What annoys me are people who are carp at their job and are made redundant... Rather than HR having the bother to help manage their exit, they are included in the next round so they get a bonus for being incompetent or worse
By stevelup
Is it possible to laugh too much at a comedy show?

It was entirely entertaining and we, along with everyone else, laughed out loud multiple times as you would expect.

The woman behind us quite literally screamed with hysterical force 10 laughter every time the chap spoke. First world problem I know, but it was really disturbing...
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By ChampChump
She gets around. I'm sure she's in every audience for comedy and alleged/billed-as comedy on R4. Except the one I went to, where we were all laughing in an intelligent and ironic way...
kanga liked this