Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ben Twings
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Last year it cost me (USD) about $8000 for 45m * 1.8m fabric, tapes, adhesive etc plus $350 for heat gun and iron (they need to be accurate temperature setting types) plus freight from Germany and local taxes.
When you add the cost of a decent paint finish to ceconite or Stewart's there's little difference. You save weight and time but have a slightly less aesthetic finish.
By Rod2
seanxair wrote:I have some limited experience of assisting in a project in which it was used. There may be very good reasons to use other covering methods but if I was recovering all my aircraft I would not hesitate to use it. From what I saw it was apply and fly more or less. If there are any negatives I don't know them. Happy to discuss albeit with limited knowledge off line (talk rather than type!)

Also TLAC are soon to run some workshops on how to use it and while it might be an expensive day out it would be worthwhile if undertaking a total recover I expect.

I gather that the cost of the corse is £125 which is the same as other LAA type courses plus when you revoke you aircraft they rebate the cost of the training course back.
By Miscellaneous
Charles Hunt wrote:Anyone know order of magnitude costs to cover say a Cub in Oratex rather than traditional dope and fabric?

I called TLAC today:

900mm wide x £35.26 per metre +VAT
1800mm wide x £70.51 per metre +VAT

900mm wide x £50.37 per metre +VAT
1800 wide x £100.73 per metre +VAT

Adhesive £77 per litre +VAT

If you give them a call they'll be able to advise what you need for your specific aeroplane.
Last edited by Miscellaneous on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charles Hunt liked this
By Rob L
What are the units of currency in the above post, Misc, if that is indeed what is intended by numbers without units, and that Oratex is German? :roll:
By Ben Twings
I assume GBP if it's from TLAC. Sounds about right.
For a Cub size, budget 45m of 1800 wide, plus about 150-200m of various tapes and about 4L of adhesive and a few tools and sundries.
Somewhere around £5500+VAT
By Miscellaneous
Rob L wrote:What are the units of currency in the above post, Misc, if that is indeed what is intended by numbers without units, and that Oratex is German? :roll:

Sorry Rob, as Ben suggests GBP.
By Big Dex
Based on experience of oratex on 3 aircraft, I'd use ceconite. Too many issues with it peeling off in the months and years after being fitted in accordance with the instructions. Re-sticking was a fairly regular job, and it is stained by fuel.
By Rod2
Big Dex wrote:Based on experience of oratex on 3 aircraft, I'd use ceconite. Too many issues with it peeling off in the months and years after being fitted in accordance with the instructions. Re-sticking was a fairly regular job, and it is stained by fuel.

So what have you used it on and when??
By Ben Twings
Poly Fiber is the Stit's process that uses a variety of Dacron (polyester) fabric that they trademark as Ceconite. In practice you can use the Stit's poly fiber process with Stewart's Superflite fabric and vice-versa.

Stewart's system avoids nasty vapours in the coating process, but you still have to build up the coating layers that Oratex does in the factory.
By Paul_Sengupta
We were talking about this in the pub tonight, and someone said that Ceconite was just one particular brand of Poly Fibre. Don't know if that's true.

Ah, sorry, BT posted while I was replying.