For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By matthew_w100
We had a lecture on this from ours. Their job, in order of priority is to:

1) Ensure organisation complies with employment law through creation of appropriate policies
2) Ensure organisation applies employment policies consistently across all departments
3) Advise and support managers in applying policy to staff
4) Advise and support staff in dealing with managers who do not work within policy.

It was a revalation.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matthew_w100 wrote: ..... 4) Advise and support staff in dealing with managers who do not work within policy....

sadly, not in my experience :(, and that annoys me.
seanjd liked this
By Rob P
"Personnel Departments" generally had a Manager, an Assistant and a Secretary.

No self-respecting "Human Resources Department" can hold its head up in public until its headcount exceeds the rest of the company added together.

Rob P
seanjd liked this
By JoeC
matthew_w100 wrote:We had a lecture on this from ours. Their job, in order of priority is to:

1) Ensure organisation complies with employment law through creation of appropriate policies
2) Ensure organisation applies employment policies consistently across all departments
3) Advise and support managers in applying policy to staff
4) Advise and support staff in dealing with managers who do not work within policy.

It was a revalation.

How dull. Were they not interested in policy and planning on getting the best of people, recruitment, training, organisational development to help the company achieve its objectives and all that good stuff?
By kanga
avtur3 wrote:
matthew_w100 wrote: ..... 4) Advise and support staff in dealing with managers who do not work within policy....

sadly, not in my experience :(, and that annoys me.

ah, my HR contact worked (now retired) for an organisation which staffed its (small) HR branch with people experienced in all, including the most technical, functions of the employer. Volunteers from these, who might be from lowly or senior places in the internal hierarchy, were then sent on the relevant CIPD and Employment Law courses. HR folk were not hired in nor were the HR functions outsourced. They were then in a position to give authoritative and respected advice and instruction to both staff and managers, the latter being unable to say 'ah, but you don't understand what we do here'.

oh, and they did the recruitment, internal motivation and mentoring, etc, stuff, too.
By matthew_w100
JoeC wrote:How dull. Were they not interested in policy and planning on getting the best of people, recruitment, training, organisational development to help the company achieve its objectives and all that good stuff?

Sort of. But not really in an active sense. Being a university the organisation has a slightly different take on that kind of thing to others. And we do have a separate Learning & Development function. But it's deffinitely 6/10 - could do better.
JoeC liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
JoeC wrote:Were they not interested in policy and planning on getting the best of people, recruitment, training, organisational development to help the company achieve its objectives and all that good stuff?

Hah, you're joking aren't you? Ours are there to find the best way to make the only people left, the good people who we rely on, redundant.
By seanxair
Getting away from the HR theme, though I have had a bellyful in my time, here is my latest pet hate.

Holiday cottage owners who publish arty farty photographs of croissants and lobster platters instead of the ROOMS.

I know what food is. I want to see what your accommodation is like. I might even be tempted to pay the extortionate prices you want during the school holidays if I see it.

Cornish owners especially please take note :x
By riverrock
matthew_w100 wrote: Being a university

That means they have to protect the university from its students. Helping staff? No....
At least, that is my better half's opinion. That and they enjoy empire building.

The HR department of one of the universities she works for, decided to relocate from the campus to an anonymous building in the city centre. You can no longer go in to chat to them, or complain about something to them without a specific appointment, as otherwise the security guard wont let you reach the door, never mind go through it. They tend to not answer phones and take a few days to answer emails (if you're lucky) so its near impossible to book appointments.

They also run highly inefficient processes, such as needing another copy of your passport for each new contract to check if you have the right to work (which you need to create an appointment to bring in to them - which means an hours round trip from the campus).

They don't treat people as single employees if they are under multiple contracts, so get out of paying / enrolling people in pensions (saying you aren't earning above a threshold on any of the multiple contracts). Have cancelled my wife's staff card as one of her many contracts has come to an end, despite her having 2 other active ones.

They refuse to look at contracts more than a week before they are needed (job agreed in August with a January start date) which means there is a backlog at the start of semesters meaning they often don't deal with them till well after the job has started (has taken over 3 months to sort in the past) which means you don't get paid for 3 months. They only sorted the last one 2 days before the first lecture was due to be delivered after my better half said she wouldn't work without the contract.

Ah yes - I guess HR annoy me!
By Morten
skydriller wrote:My Ex-Wife.

LOL. Although the good thing is that she annoys me less now that she is 'ex' than she did when she was 'current'!

Result! :cheers:
By Paultheparaglider
I realise it is bucking the trend here, but I worked for many years as an expatriate for a company where the human resources team were first rate. Hard working, professional, and extremely well organised.

And, most importantly as it hasn't had a mention yet, my salary always arrived in my bank account on time. :wink:
avtur3 liked this
By Rob P
Morten wrote:LOL. Although the good thing is that she annoys me less now that she is 'ex' than she did when she was 'current'!

Result! :cheers:

What! You've been married to and divorced from SkyDriller's wife too? What is she, some sort of SkyGods groupie? :shock:

Rob P
Morten, Dave W, skydriller liked this