Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Grumpy One wrote:Was that me?

It was! Great pic. :D

Morten wrote:"Hey, it's my lift home!"

Morten, you shuffling little prune faced digit illuminator, you - how was Florida? Mickey got his round in, I trust? ;)
Morten wrote:On a related note... if you saw this, would you know where you were as well...? ;-)

"Hey, it's my lift home!"

Morten

That's a great photo.
Although could it be a minuteman missile (heralding the start of world war 3) rather than the Space Shuttle?

If that was in the UK, there would be a NOTAM to give Cape Canaveral a wide berth. Is there an equivalent to Notams in the US? Or perhaps that location is restricted airspace at all times regardless.
By Iceman
I have known people who have been cleared through the Canaveral airspace soon after launch and have flown through the smoke plume if the recently departed rocket.

It was fun to do a low flypast on the landing runway at Canaveral although I did get a rollocking when asked what height I was at :lol:.

Iceman 8)
By Paul_Sengupta
Iceman wrote:I have known people who have been cleared through the Canaveral airspace soon after launch and have flown through the smoke plume if the recently departed rocket.

They used to have a small TRA/RAT/whatever it's called back in the day. You'd often get aircraft flying in a circle around the outside of it when they had a launch. I believe they widened it a bit after 9/11.

Iceman wrote:It was fun to do a low flypast on the landing runway at Canaveral although I did get a rollocking when asked what height I was at :lol:.

The clearance was always "not below 500ft". I flew down it in formation with someone once, and either his altimeter was way out or mine was... ;-)
Morten wrote:On a related note... if you saw this, would you know where you were as well...? ;-)

"Hey, it's my lift home!"

Morten

.. or trying to escape back to RAF Sculthorpe in one of these:

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae59 ... B-45Cs.jpg :)