Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By BigAde
Complete three remaining written exams next week, hopefully complete solo nav inc. x-country sometime in Jan (weather dependant... :x ) and skills test shortly after!

May complete the night rating / IR(R) shortly after gaining PPL but not sure yet.

Happy new year to all!

Ade
By Rob P
BigAde wrote:May complete the night rating / IR(R) shortly after gaining PPL but not sure yet.

Perceived wisdom is that you should give yourself a break from training and get on with the serious bit of learning the role of P1.

Fly your friends, explore new places, generally get comfortable with flying as a qualified PPL. Then go on to further ratings; assuming you are a hobby pilot and not looking for a commercial seat.

Rob P
By BigAde
Rob P wrote:
BigAde wrote:May complete the night rating / IR(R) shortly after gaining PPL but not sure yet.

Perceived wisdom is that you should give yourself a break from training and get on with the serious bit of learning the role of P1.

Fly your friends, explore new places, generally get comfortable with flying as a qualified PPL. Then go on to further ratings; assuming you are a hobby pilot and not looking for a commercial seat.

Rob P

Thanks for the advice Rob - sounds like a good plan.

I'm a bit old for most commercial paths at 33, but would like to instruct PPL eventually. There's no rush to get to that point though!
Rob P liked this
By Melanie Moxon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
After gaining some P1 seat time through last year post PPL(A) skills test I am going to be doing my Night Rating (Qualification?) next week (or certainly starting it) if the weather allows :)
By bfg_96
Short term - hour building, visiting new airfields, sight seeing, taking friends and family places. Long term - get a Class 1 medical as the first step towards a CPL, and consider IR/night rating/complex differences/aeros training!