Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
One thing that might be of interest and useful in your argument, at Blackbushe over the past few years they have been clearing a lot of trees on the approach to 25, not for the aircraft but to help the open scrub land grow to see the natural habitat for nightingales return to the area, a benefit of this is that it has also seen Nightjar sightings in the area right next to a busy airfield, they don't seem too fussed about a lot of movements with jet traffic.
Something that astounded me on my first visit to a specific tower was the variety of wild life apparently undisturbed by the airborne activities. On enquiring I was a advised of just how the bombing range was like a mini 'wild life reserve'. Granted it was not live munitions, nevertheless the range of exercises conducted is neither noiseless or gentle. Whether those guys could lend any weight to your argument?
PeteSpencer wrote:
johnm wrote:
Could do with more support. Any bird watchers, ornothologist's who fly light aircraft?

Why is that of particular interest? Birds are perfectly happy to share the sky with light aircraft even at busy airports. There was buzzard sitting on the taxiway sign as I went by at Gloucester yesterday!

Probably because the planners, in rejecting rhwalkers planning request, appeared to be concerned about the effect on goshawks and nightjars and requested a bird survey.

They seem to be pulling out all the stops to prevent this application.

Wouldn't be surprised if a jam jar full of great crested newts got smuggled in and dumped on the land to be 'discovered' later and put the final nail in the coffin.

Peter (apparently it really happens)

Where can I get some from? I need to something to assist in preventing Deenthorpe being turned into a "garden village".......
By r_w_walker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thank you for some usefull stories.
Unfortnately the planning authority do not read this forum.
So if you have experience of wildlife not being affected please email them in a letter of support to the planning authority, details in first post.
By r_w_walker
If one method does not work please try

email to "planning@northyorkmoors.org.uk"

Quoting application number:- NYM/2016/0817/FL South Moor Farm Air Strip.
Please include your name and address.

Planning web sites seem notorious for falling over hopefully due to volume of support.
cotterpot wrote:Hampton, near Peterborough had loads of them they had to relocate. May have some spare Steve :)

When they came looking for newts (and bats for that matter ) a coupla years ago at the start of our planning process i asked the guy what they did if they found newts:

He told me they take them all to a massive newt colony somewhere near Peterborough....

Not a good place to start an airfield I guess.....

Peter
r_w_walker wrote:If one method does not work please try

email to "planning@northyorkmoors.org.uk"

Quoting application number:- NYM/2016/0817/FL South Moor Farm Air Strip.
Please include your name and address.

Planning web sites seem notorious for falling over hopefully due to volume of support.

Email in support sent
By leiafee
Posted on planning site

I write to support this application.

Airstrips nearby are popular destinations for fly-in visits and contribute to the local economy and tourist industry and should be supported wherever appropriate.

To address the common concerns by those without understanding of their operation I point out the following:

The noise impact is self limiting due to the length and condition of the proposed strip - only small, light aircraft will be capable of using it and these types have a small noise footprint and tend to land from a glide approach with engine idle. I maintain a microlight on a very similarly proportioned strip which has received no formal noise complaints in 11 years of operation

The numbers of aircraft visiting are self limiting due to the weather conditions such aircraft need and the vagaries of the British climate.

There are numerous examples of small airstrip co-existing successfully with local wildlife - indeed, the need to keep clear approaches and open grass areas frequently support the presence of wildlife rather than the contrary. Birds are so little disturbed by aircraft that at many airports they are an active nuisance. Here in such a small scale this will not be an issue but demonstrates how little impact airfields have on birds.

The positives clearly outweigh any perceived negatives
By r_w_walker
Update 16/02/2017

Thank you for the support - 36 supporting letters.

Unfortunately the North York Moors National Park planning committee refused planning permission again today on the grounds that protected bird species MIGHT be affected.

They are also going to issue an Article 4 Direction to prevent 28 day use.

There will be another appeal.