Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By r_w_walker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Update 16/02/2017

Thank you for the support - 36 supporting letters.

Unfortunately the North York Moors National Park planning committee refused planning permission again today on the grounds that protected bird species MIGHT be affected.

They are also going to issue an Article 4 Direction to prevent 28 day use.

There will be another appeal.

Update:- 07/01/2017

Thank you 750 views, 23 letters of support, 23 letters objecting.

Airfields are closing and it is extremely difficult to open a new one.

Could do with more support. Any bird watchers, ornothologist's who fly light aircraft?

Update 22/12/16.

Thank you. Nearly 600 views and 20 letters of support. More please.

The air strip is currently in use under the 28 day rule but ony 4 visitors this year.

So in answer to Tim Dawson's post:-

Re: How many airfields are actively under threat?#1505259

By Tim Dawson - Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:10 pm

How many new airfields/strips/landing destinations have opened in the last year?

The answer is at least one, but I am struggling to convince the planning authority to allow it to fully open.

Update 12/12/16.

Thank you. Over 400 views and 14 letters of support so far.

A few more would be welcome please.

South Moor Farm – Proposed Air Strip.

The third application was dismissed because the planning inspector was concerned about the effect on Nightjars and Goshawks and requested a bird survey which is now included in the latest application.

Fourth Application - NYM/2016/0817/FL

I have now submitted a fourth planning application for my proposed air strip.

The planning authority may notify you of the new application but unfortunately they told me that letters or emails of support are not carried forward to the new application.

Thank you if you have already sent a letter of support, if not:-

Could you please send a supporting letter or email if you would like to support or continue your support.

Information below if you would like to support the application.

If you would like to use the strip in the future please tell the planners why, e.g. staying at South Moor Farm B & B, visiting relatives, visiting Dalby Forest, visiting Scarborough, Whitby or Pickering.

If you have examples of air strips supporting wildlife, not damaging local ecology please mention them.

To view the planning application for the Air Strip at South Moor Farm go to the North Yorkshire Moors Planning Web Site:-

http://planning.northyorkmoors.org.uk/N ... earch.aspx

And enter in the application number box:- NYM/2016/0817/FL

Clicking on the application number will then allow you to enter comments.

A copy of the airstrip details at

http://www.southmoorfarm.co.uk/dalbyairfield.html

Currently in use under 28 day rules.

If you would like to support the application please write to:-

North York Moors National Park Authority
The Old Vicarage
Bondgate
Helmsley
York
YO62 5BP

or email planning@northyorkmoors.org.uk

Quoting application number:- NYM/2016/0817/FL South Moor Farm Air Strip.
Please include your name and address.

Or use the comments facility on the application details page.

Bob.
Last edited by r_w_walker on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Thumper liked this
I have written again in support of your application: I have described the wildlife supported by our own grass strip which has been in the Suffolk Countryside continuously since 1972 without problem.
Id send you a copy if I knew how but I guess you'll see it on the website.

Some of the wild life is not so welcome, like the swallows that cr ap all over the aeroplane and the moles that dig up our table smooth strip, but, hey-ho....

I must say I admire your tenacity and wish to 'do it right' though I hate to imagine what it's costing you in time and dosh.
Good Luck
Peter
Update 22/12/16.

Thank you. Nearly 600 views and 20 letters of support.

The air strip is currently in use under the 28 day rule but ony 4 visitors this year.

So in answer to Tim Dawson's post:-

Re: How many airfields are actively under threat?#1505259

By Tim Dawson - Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:10 pm

How many new airfields/strips/landing destinations have opened in the last year?

The answer is at least one, but I am struggling to convince the planning authority to allow it to fully open.
Tim Dawson, kanga, Pete L liked this
Update:- 07/01/2017

Thank you 750 views, 23 letters of support, 23 letters objecting.

Airfields are closing and it is extremely difficult to open a new one.

Could do with more support. Any bird watchers, ornothologist's who fly light aircraft?
Helo Steve,

We are running a B & B as well as a sheep farm and airstrip.

We would love to have more visitors. PPR essential.

At the moment, yes I can accept any day visitors or overnight stops, subject to 28 day rule.

I would like unrestricted planning permission, but expect to have to control numbers using the facility. They may want to restrict types of aircraft as well, but I would argue that the short bumpy strip is not suitable for many aircraft so is self restricting.

Strip is free to use at the moment, but if I obtain planning permission there may be a charge, to control numbers and recoup some of the substantial costs incurred.
By johnm

Why is that of particular interest? Birds are perfectly happy to share the sky with light aircraft even at busy airports. There was buzzard sitting on the taxiway sign as I went by at Gloucester yesterday!
johnm wrote:

Why is that of particular interest? Birds are perfectly happy to share the sky with light aircraft even at busy airports. There was buzzard sitting on the taxiway sign as I went by at Gloucester yesterday!

Probably because the planners, in rejecting rhwalkers planning request, appeared to be concerned about the effect on goshawks and nightjars and requested a bird survey.

They seem to be pulling out all the stops to prevent this application.

Wouldn't be surprised if a jam jar full of great crested newts got smuggled in and dumped on the land to be 'discovered' later and put the final nail in the coffin.

Peter (apparently it really happens)
By johnm
Probably because the planners, in rejecting rhwalkers planning request, appeared to be concerned about the effect on goshawks and nightjars and requested a bird survey.

In that case the planners are cretins. Farming and house building will disturb goshawks and nightjars but not aeroplanes on the scale proposed here and you are at liberty to quote me verbatim if you like.
The last appeal was only dismissed because an ornithologist suggested that the birds, particularly nightjars and goshawks are protected species which would be disturbed.

Hence bird survey commissioned and added for fourth planning application.

There is very little research or evidence one way or the other, depends on the whims of the planners, inspector or if necessay a judge. e.g. Lydd expansion approved.

Hence request for input from an ornithologist who is also a pilot.
By Lefty
In my letter, I commented that many objectors work on an "assumption " that birds will be disturbed - without any evidence that there is any disturbance. I mentioned that at our airfield, as with many other airfields, the birds seem to wander around the airfield with complete disregard for the aircraft.