For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By NickS
People who mollycoddle their kids. There has been a long discussion on the local Facebook group which started with someone saying that it was "disgusting" that some 10/11 yo kids were playing in a park without being supervised by parents. If that is people's attitude, what they get are kids without any self-reliance, don't understand how to recognise and manage risk and who can barely manage on their own. The excuse was that there are 5 attempted abductions each week - that compares with over 46 fatal/serious injuries for children in road accidents yet you they don't stop taking their kids in the car. Some people need to get a grip and worry about the slobs who sit in front of the TV all weekend, rather than those who go out and do something.
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
New pet hate: cutting in paint at the wall/ceiling junction...

I now need to go and get some white paint to touch up the ceiling... :pale:
By avtur3
JonathanB wrote:New pet hate: cutting in paint at the wall/ceiling junction...

Masking tape ... there is a brand, I think it is called 'Frog Tape' it really is good, it is not cheap but (IMHO) it is well worth investing in. There are two versions normal and 'low tack', green and yellow, depending on what surface you are working on, it's good and works really well.
Last edited by avtur3 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick w liked this
By JonathanB
I have some. Didn't think it would work very well around the ceiling (as I suspect the corners aren't perfect). Might try it though on the next 2 sides... :?
By Paul_Sengupta
avtur3 wrote:No ... that is not funny :(

It was supposed to represent the comment that someone made about the IoW.

In bread.
By avtur3
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
avtur3 wrote:No ... that is not funny :(

It was supposed to represent the comment that someone made about the IoW.

In bread.

I know, but I'm a dog lover ... not in the foody sense ... that would hardly be worth opening your mouth for !!!
By Flintstone
avtur3 wrote:

Masking tape ... there is a brand, I think it is called 'Frog Tape' it really is good, it is not cheap but (IMHO) it is well worth investing in. There are two versions normal and 'low tack', green and yellow, depending on what surface you are working on, it's good and works really well.

I was once meandering around Homebase/Wickes/Do-It-Up and as you do kept passing other people browsing. One were a pair of Polish blokes who were browsing the Frog Tape at the same time as me. I was trying to justify buying some as I had no immediate use for it, it's a bit pricey but it would look good hanging on a nail in the garage. While I mulled it over one of he Poles said to his his mate (in accented English) "I myust buy syome Frog Tape". "Why?" asked his friend. "Because I hyave none".

That made my mind up for me and I bought some. Which, one year on, I have still yet to use. It does look good in the garage though.
By nallen

Tip 1: use decorators' caulk on all junctions - easier to cut-in to a bead of this.

Tip 2: paint walls and ceiling the same colour. :D
By JoeC
JonathanB wrote:I have some. Didn't think it would work very well around the ceiling (as I suspect the corners aren't perfect). Might try it though on the next 2 sides... :?

It'll take you twice as long to put the masking tape up straight! Steady hand and touch up afterwards. (That sounds so wrong!)
By PeteSpencer
GolfHotel wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:I drove from Bury St Eds to Kings Lynn last week.
After the A 11 Thetford bypass there are about three places where one can safely overtake in 35 miles and we were about no 12 in a procession behind 3 or 4 HGVs, a tractor or two and a caravan.

In my rear mirror I could see a BMW in a hurry pulling in and out and eventually passing the cars behind me one by one with accompanying headlamp flashing from oncoming traffic .

He flashed past me ( pers. number plate noted) and repeated the performance with multiple sudden brake lights from traffic ahead before I lost sight of him.

30 mins later as we pulled up to the A10/A47 roundabout traffic lights , to filter left for West Lynn, behold, same BMW with pers number plate alongside us in the long queue to go straight on into K Lynn:

Time saved by such driving? Zero minutes, Risks taked/angered fellow motorists ? probably dozens.

sometimes it's good to plod...... :wink:

I never thought I could feel sympathetically towards a BMW driver. But Peter has made me realise that they are much maligned by the doddery cockwombles of this world.

no offence intended PS. :mrgreen:

Just remembered the BMWs pers reg :

GH 15 TIT

:wink:
GolfHotel liked this