Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
An article in Le Figaro suggests that a further 15 French airfields will soon lose the ability to accept non-Schengen flights. Although the official list has yet to be published it suggests that it will soon no longer be possible to request customs at the following airfields

Abbeville
Agen-La Garenne
Amiens Glisy
Annemasse
Besançon-la Vèze
La-Môle-Saint-Tropez
Lannion
Le Castellet
Lognes-Emerainville
Montbéliard-Courcelles
Nevers-Fourchambault
Vichy-Charmeil

and possibly

La Roche-sur-Yon

I have nothing more to go on other than the report in Le Figaro, so this isn't official and could be wrong.

Ian
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A real shame if confirmed. The loss of Lognes pretty much does it for direct GA to Paris.

It is difficult to see the rationale since customs at these places Ian effectively an unmanned regionally centralised service
When flying south, I like to use Chateauroux Deols for customs and refuelling, as it's about half way, landing is free, and the 3.6km runway is handy if my touch down is a bit floaty. They no longer have customs officers on site, so two of them had an hour's drive each way from Tours (I think), just to clear me. I can't help but wonder how much longer that service will continue.
By JonathanB
I've used Chateauroux twice now and on both occasions notified customs via the airport administration folk. They just took a copy of my passport and I never saw any customs folk on either occasion. A very handy and helpful airport!
By ChampChump
I really hope this is more rumour than truth.

Abbeville, in particular, would be a dreadful loss to the ragged trousered Brits. It has a steady income from associated fuel sales and is ideal for many of us, not least because there's grass and a cross runway, too. The Customs chaps sometimes come out, sometimes don't, but we got the impression they regard it as a good excuse to get out of the office.
ChampChump wrote: we got the impression they regard it as a good excuse to get out of the office.

They are more likely to turn up if you arrive around lunchtime. After all, it is a good restaurant.

Rob P
By mick w
Jodelman wrote:With both Abbeville and Amiens gone there would be nowhere in easy reach of the Channel outside Class D airspace. Not good for those without a transponder.

If you speak nicely to L2K just before departure , having emailed them beforehand , they'll let you in negative Transponder . :wink:
2Donkeys wrote:A real shame if confirmed. The loss of Lognes pretty much does it for direct GA to Paris.

It is difficult to see the rationale since customs at these places Ian effectively an unmanned regionally centralised service

A shame, but the rationale seems quite straightforward. It costs money to be able to provide an immigration service at these airports, and the only people who benefit are those using private aircraft to travel from and to the UK or Ireland. With the exception of Abbeville, I doubt many of the airports concerned make significant revenues from UK / Irish flights, so it's a bit of a no-brainer.

It would be fabulous if the French would introduce an equivalent to the GAR form, but that's about as likely as the UK joining the Schengen zone.
mick w wrote:If you speak nicely to L2K just before departure , having emailed them beforehand , they'll let you in negative Transponder . :wink:

Unfortunately, not always!

Anyway, who wants to go to Le Touquet - it's expensive and has a runway with a seemingly permanent howling crosswind.
By GrahamB
Jodelman wrote:With both Abbeville and Amiens gone there would be nowhere in easy reach of the Channel outside Class D airspace. Not good for those without a transponder.

Neither Calais nor Cherbourg are in Class D any longer, and both have Customs.