Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By gasman
Two weeks ago D036 was notamed active .
Plymouth Mil radar notamed as unavailable and not answering phone.
Routed west from Caen to Orist to avoid D036 in foul weather - on contact with Lon Info at Orist told D036 was inactive :wall:
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's long past time most of these danger areas were closed. There was some justification for them when we had a large navy and air force to protect an empire, but we don't either have or need a large military capability any more.
By JWL
We should have a system like the French SIA for low level corridor flying where it specifically tells you each day what's active at what times via an online portal.
skydriller, AlanM liked this
G-BLEW wrote:13, 14 and 17 notamed active - London Info confirmed inactive
gasman wrote:Two weeks ago D036 was notamed active .
Routed west from Caen to Orist to avoid D036 in foul weather - on contact with Lon Info at Orist told D036 was inactive

"Wolf!"

Dreadful waste of airspace. Inconsiderate communication from the DA 'sponsors'.
By chevvron
Talkdownman wrote:
G-BLEW wrote:13, 14 and 17 notamed active - London Info confirmed inactive
gasman wrote:Two weeks ago D036 was notamed active .
Routed west from Caen to Orist to avoid D036 in foul weather - on contact with Lon Info at Orist told D036 was inactive

"Wolf!"

Dreadful waste of airspace. Inconsiderate communication from the DA 'sponsors'.

It's like I've said in the past, once these people have the DA, they're bloody well going to keep it.
I started campaigning for D131 (Hankley Common DZ) to be withdrawn from the list of DAs about 3 or 4 years after the paras left Aldershot on the grounds it hadn't been used for some time, only to meet a 'well we might just need it sometime' from the Army. It finally was withdrawn a couple of years ago
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
How do you know they were 'actually cold all day'?

Infringed and survived?! :wink:
By Moli
When Plymouth Mil are on Hols or closed (after office hours and weekends) the DACS goes to Swanwick Mil, (no we don't promulgate the NOTAMs ) so you can always call for DACS info only on 01489 612447, the assistant will be able to tell you if they are active or not for planning purposes. Still best to check on an appropriate freq when airborne to belt and braces it.

Moli
johnp liked this
By Marvin
Swanwick Mil answered my radio call on 135.150 (freq. on the chart) Monday and confirmed D036 cold when I flew down to Cherbourg.

Maybe its time for D036 to eligible for Activation by NOTAM rather than permanent between defined hours.
By pembroke
A few weeks ago I was asked to use our club PA28 and fly from Lydd to Perranporth. I chose the "southerly" route, VOR to VOR and gratefully accepted a tablet with the route programmed in from SD. This was a weekday and I assumed both civilian and military radios would be open. I won't mention the ATSUs but there seemed to be little coordination and no help re. the danger area status. (except from London Info). Why isn't it the "hot/cold" status available and displayed to Newquay, Exeter, Bournemouth and Solent, never mind the channel islands! And where did Plymouth Mil disappear to at 14.00 on a weekday? I'm glad I prepared for this flight as thoroughly as I did but I had to "put the brakes on", approaching Portland and leaving Berry head on the return, prior to onward clearance.
By Moli
You could always call the nominated DACS unit for info, either Plymouth or Swanwick Mil depending on what time of days it is. Three of the units you mentioned often call Swanwick Mil for DACS info and often request and obtain a blanket crossing clearance for the day if there is no notified activity. The system isn't perfect I know, but you should. usually be able to get all the info you need well before you get to a point where you need to put the brakes on. London Info will always have the up to date info on the DAs and indeed sit about 15 feet away from the Swanwick Mil sector that controls the South Coast DACS.

Moli