Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
What a tw@. Thousands of disappointed people because one selfish R sole couldn't be bothered to look at the NOTAMs.
By Corsican
The worst thing was even my 8 year old daughter could tell that it was a helicopter by eye, so they were close enough. Red Arrows commentator mentioned that the heli called Luton for a traffic service and Luton then informed Old Warden/Red Arrows. How hard is it to read a Notam?

Edit - to say that it was still a great display and both kids are still talking about it. My son thinks it's great to talk like the red arrow commands "Foooood.... GO! Pyjama... GO!" and is trying to grab my headset now... if only I could fly like them :D
eltonioni liked this
By Squadgy
If anyone could confirm the details of the helicopter involved via PM would be grateful. I've heard rumour it may be the same as one that's caused issues elsewhere recently. :roll:
By Highland Park
Aside from that apparent incident, comments elsewhere seem to suggest that the new CAA regulations haven't exactly enhanced the air show experience there, due to changes in display lines etc. If true, that's a shame...
Highland Park, I did notice that, at this years Swansea air show, it was noticebly less exciting, the display line was a long way away (tbh I think the organisers gold plated the new rules, they said the buoys were 300m out from the crowd line, I reckon they were 4-500m out)
By leiafee
vintage ATCO wrote:Organisers don't 'gold plate' the new rules, they comply with them. Since May 8th things have moved on and several, including Shuttleworth, have approval for new distances.

The display line at Swansea seems to vary year on year with the state of the tide!

I thought it was further off this year too, but none of my non-flying relatives noticed a difference,
By Highland Park
vintage ATCO wrote:Organisers don't 'gold plate' the new rules, they comply with them. Since May 8th things have moved on and several, including Shuttleworth, have approval for new distances.

Yes indeed. I was there on Sunday and despite the blustery conditions which canned a number of displays, including the BBMF, the displays were pretty much like those of old.

Very much liked the DH88 Comet and Miles Falcon and highlighted for me the importance of keeping our aviation heritage flying... :thumleft: