Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Old Pilot
Rant deleted.
Last edited by Old Pilot on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Ben K
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35271182

Now being reported on the BBC;
A British adventurer has arrived in Australia, having completed an epic 13,000-mile solo flight from the UK in a vintage open cockpit bi-plane.

Although she is shown getting out of the aircraft... With someone else in the front seat!

Edit;

BBC page now updated to read;
A British adventurer has completed an epic 14,600-nautical mile flight from the UK to Australia in a vintage open cockpit bi-plane

Prehaps the BBC reads the forum....?
Last edited by Ben K on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By neilmurg
Dave W wrote:OP, you're missing the point.
Which is that we got your point pages ago.
Can you please make sure the reporting is accurate.
OP is "Spooky", OldP is missing the point
By matthew_w100
I wish the Brit's performance in the World Air Games had received as much media attention.

And that there were more women in the team.
By Sam Rutherford
I remain confused by people who think it's okay that she says she's doing it solo when she isn't.

Amanda Harrison is setting off later this year SOLO - but she'll now receive very little attention or accolades.

It is high time (long overdue) that Tracey corrected the mis-information in the press - but of course she won't, the true story is not as useful to her because it is not as noteworthy as the current version.

Feel free to go to her Facebook page and ask some questions!
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Old Pilot wrote:All I have are facts.

This from a newspaper

I admire your faith and optimism...
By Ian Flyer
In fairness to this lady, her web site doesn't appear to make any mention of a "solo" flight.......it just says that she will be flying "her" vintage bi-plane to Australia "in honour" of Amy Johnson.

In the bit of a clip from the One Show that I saw, she also didn't say the "solo" word and again said that it was in honour of Amy Johnson.

So I guess that, technically, she isn't lying.....but she doesn't seem to go out of her way to correct the misconceptions (which itself may be considered disengenuous) and the various news media seem glad to lap it up.

(loved the piece on BBC this morning where the reporter sat in the aircraft and said that it was operated with a stick and rudder......which really made it vintage. Does that make ours vintage too, then? :? )

I do think it's a real shame that this event will take away publicity from the Amanda Harrison one, which sounds like it will be 'the real thing'.

Farmer.....have a look at her picture on her web site - she looks even better there! :wink: (Airbrushing, anyone?)
Last edited by Ian Flyer on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Ian Melville
Ben K wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35271182

Now being reported on the BBC;
A British adventurer has arrived in Australia, having completed an epic 13,000-mile solo flight from the UK in a vintage open cockpit bi-plane.

Although she is shown getting out of the aircraft... With someone else in the front seat!

BBC have changed the website now, guess the feedback is getting through :D
Some early reports suggested it was a solo flight - Ms Curtis-Taylor was the only pilot to fly the vintage bi-plane, but she had a support team of engineers travelling with her in a separate aircraft, as well as a camera crew, who would sometimes sit in with her.
By GrahamB
I've stayed out of this gig so far, but it sticks in the throat that on R4 this morning she took the trouble to correct, i.e. increase, the distance she had flown stated by the interviewer, but didn't take the trouble to do the same with the words 'flew solo'.
By Paultheparaglider
Dave W wrote:OP, you're missing the point.

Which is that we got your point pages ago.

On the grounds that all publicity is good publicity, I think she should offer Old Pilot one of her inspirational speeches at a special discount rate. After all, he has done his best to make sure her name has been kept at the top of these pages. :wink:
By kghjfg
Her website definitely doesn't say solo. I don't know if it ever did.

The media would prefer it to be solo. Which makes it a 15 minute media story, not an achievement.

Anyone on this forum could have done it. (Genuinely ANYONE on this forum could have done it, I could have done it) Few on this forum could do what Amy Johnston did.

nothing to see here, move along, 15 minutes of fame stuff, that's all.
The masses will be back to cooing over the latest dancing dog next week. That's her target audience, and she got them.
By Johnny
Plenty of coverage on this mornings tv. Reports say she has piloted the entire route but I suspect some folk will still not be able to recognise this achievement. All the same I think she has done marvellously well. Congratulations Tracey. Looking forward to the USA sector, I couldn't have done it
By Robin500
TheFarmer wrote:
PS I still think Tracey is quite hot. :pirat:

You must have exceeded the governments new safe alcohol limits by a considerable margin if you think that. :shock: