Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By Steve H
Anyone familiar with the short channel crossing must be familar with Lydd, but I had never actually landed there, so decided to rectify this.

Only one runway, but a big one at that, all of 1500m aligned 03/21. Easily enough room to land and stop by the turnoff for the GA parking on the Charlie Apron, right by the terminal building. They seem to be fairly keen on high-vis jackets I'm afraid.

Lydd and envorons

Lydd airfield

Being a coastal airfield, and flat as a pancake, get ready for some breeze. It was a sporting 070/20 when I went there, when at the same time in Gloucester, it was something like 060/05.

A very quiet place. But friendly on reception as I pad the very reasonable £13.80 landing fee. Big but pretty empty cafe. Outside viewing area and the local Lydd Flying Club welcomed visiting pilots, but I didn't have time to check it out. Miles from anywhere, but I did note a golf course within easy walk of the airfield.

Just a few lmiles north east along the coast just past Folkestone is the Battle of Britain memorial - well worth seeing from the air - what better way!

Battle of Britain memorial, just up the coast past Folkestone

WiFi available in the cafe area.
By Tristan
Do you mind me asking what aircraft you flew into Lydd? I paid a whopping £25 for a PA28!!
By akg1486
Tristan wrote:Do you mind me asking what aircraft you flew into Lydd? I paid a whopping £25 for a PA28!!

Last time I met Steve (in 2011), he was flying an RV-6. This one, in fact: http://www.chasingthemorningsun.com/the_aircraft.htm.
By joe-fbs
Visited a few days ago. All perfectly serviceable and everything you want. You can even rent bikes to go to the beach. Can't remember the landing fee so it must have been reasonable. The avgas was very cheap. Very nice part of the world, we took a coastal route from the Thames to Lydd, most attractive. Now thinking of holidaying in Kent for 2017.
By jbb
Hi, new on this forum. I am thinking about performing a flight from LFAT, le touquet to Lydd. This as my first cross chanel flight, and first flight to UK (I am a french pilot)
I am looking for tips. I have noticed the restricted area which may involve special end of the downwind.
Thanks for your help,

JB
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Salut jbb,

Admin : You need to file a GAR in advance with border force on the govt website or via Skydemon/Online GAR, https://www.submit-general-aviation-report.service.gov.uk/welcome/index in addition to your flight plan. LFAT has permanent Douanier, so you're OK on the French side.

The last time I went to Lydd I flew across the short bit - CAP Gris Nez - and I was told to stay offshore clear of D141 and report at 8 miles, then 4 miles, direct to Final Runway 23. The circuit is an odd shape but nothing to worry about. If flying direct you will probably get asked to join base for 23 or downwind for 03. Do beware the new restricted/danger areas in the channel for migrant watching drones though. Oh, and you will find UK ATC a little more strict than French ATC wrt read backs etc.

Finally, if you are not LFAT based, Calais is less expensive, but does require Douanier 2hr PN, but then, you need to file your GAR 2hrs in advance, so... :wink:

Regards, SD..
By jbb
Hello SD,

Thanks for your message and information.
I was wondering if Lydd is very busy during the weekend and if it is maybe better to go there during the week. Any ideas ?

JBB
By jbb
Thanks for this feedback.
Another point, I have noticed that the Visual Approach Charts including the circuit pattern must be purchased in the uk. Apparently Pooleys is offering a complete book but I only need one chart. Is it possible to buy one only in pdf for a single airfield?
By Paul_Sengupta
You'll find it in the UK AIP.

https://nats-uk.ead-it.com/cms-nats/opencms/en/Publications/AIP/

Go to Aerodromes and EGMD Lydd. Go down to the bottom and there are aerodrome charts and instrument approach charts. There aren't any visual approach charts as such there, but I'm not sure it's really necessary if you have a map/chart/electronic chart/something else which shows the local area.
By skydriller
jbb wrote:Another point, I have noticed that the Visual Approach Charts including the circuit pattern must be purchased in the uk. Apparently Pooleys is offering a complete book but I only need one chart. Is it possible to buy one only in pdf for a single airfield?

If you are looking for something resembling the absolutely superb French VAC diagrams, then you are going to be disappointed. The UK AIP has a runway diagram and text file...

....luckily SkyDemon, our favorite flight planning app on the forum, has this, which shows a visual representation of the circuit pattern similar to what you are perhaps used to seeing :
By jbb
Thanks SD. Indeed the skydemon view is similar to the French VAC.
This will be helpful for me. Now I understand the pattern. Thanks a lot.
skydriller liked this