Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm planning on making my first trip into Redhill on Monday morning, parking up for a few days while I work in Dorking.

The helpful chappie on the phone (was it you, Satcop?) gave me most of the gen I need - but I forgot to ask him whether the taxi would come to the tower if I'm parked there, and if not, how I get to the hangar area carrying bags and the like.

What's the normal form for this?

Any other tips?
By redtcat2001
Hi Graham,
If you are booking the taxi ask them to come to the tower, If we're ordering it (a quick reminder you want one on your first call is always helpful) we can get it to pick you up at the tower no problem. Taxi usually takes about ten minutes from when we book it to arrival.
By GrahamB
Thanks. :thumright:
By GrahamB
What a great bunch they are are Redhill.

I arrived at 8:30am on Friday for a day's work in Dorking. Tower tried to book me a taxi for the station while I was parking by the Hub, but came back to me saying that the taxi firm had said that none would be available for at least another hour or so, but not to worry, as one of the fire crew would run me there in his car, so I wouldn't miss the train. :D

While waiting for the train back to Redhill, I rang the Hub to ask what time they'd be shutting, The lady said 5:30pm, so I was expecting a bit of a faff to taxi over to the Tower to pay before departing. As it happened, the chap running the Hub was stil there, and let me in to pay the landing fee, and despite being closed offered me a drink before leaving.

All in all, taken with £16.50 for landing and all day parking at an ATC airfield, a model for how a well run airfield can facilitate the utility of GA.

A big-up to you all, guys, and thanks for arranging the 25kt tailwinds on the route home. :thumright:
By Dickie
Hi Graham, it was a real pleasure to help you out at the Pilot's Hub and to play a small part in your positive experience of Redhill! Hope to see you again soon.
By Satcop
The section of Taxiways C and D on which the unlicensed Runway 07/25 is marked has been resurfaced and straightened. Whilst the width of the taxiway has been returned to 14m to allow aircraft to carryout various departure checks when using Runway 36 without the need for excessive use of brakes (which caused wear to brakes and tyres) and greatly reduces the risk of pilots leaving the paved surface and becoming stuck in the soft grass during the winter months, the unlicensed runway remains marked at 10m and its length slight reduced.

The markings remain as before, standard taxiway centre-line, holding points with unpaved threshold markings.

We still have a dispute with the local planning authority who claim that these works on the taxiway are outside our permitted development rights. This is the same Council that is being difficult over rebuilding the building destroyed by fire earlier this year.
By skydriller
Re-aligned? Still looks slightly bent to me... :wink: