A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Pianorak
Welsh rarebit :thumright:
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mentioning SkyDemon on a foodie thread.
By Jim Jones
Hot chips in white tea cake with margarine.

( a tea cake is a bap, barm cake or roll, depending on your location.)
By Paul_Sengupta
No, a tea cake is a bit like a hot cross bun without the cross.

;-)
By Jim Jones
Paul_Sengupta wrote:No, a tea cake is a bit like a hot cross bun without the cross.

;-)

Not in my chippie.

But if it was mid morning in a market cafe you'd be correct.
By Paul_Sengupta
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teacake

In most of England, a teacake is a light, sweet, yeast-based bun containing dried fruits, most usually currants, sultanas or peel. It is typically split, toasted, buttered, and served with tea. It is flat and circular, with a smooth brown upper surface and a somewhat lighter underside.

Bit like the "sticky toffee pudding" at White Waltham which is actually treacle sponge... ;-)

In East Lancashire, the former West Riding of Yorkshire and elsewhere in the North like the town of Barnsley, a teacake is a round bread roll which is cut in half to make sandwiches. They do not usually contain any sort of dried fruit.

Suppose in those areas, currants, fruit and sugar was hard to come by. Guess they had to fool people into thinking serving plain bread was somehow just as good.

But anyway, a chip butty, in any form, is usually pretty good. In fact, I could do with one now, made with the chips in the hotel at Sywell - they're lovely!
By Jim Jones
Look, this is Yorkshire, I'm from Liverpool. I don't understand, just go along with it all to avoid trouble.
By Jim Jones
Capital T capital C, makes all the difference.

Tunnocks? They're another guilty pleasure.

Maybe I just like tea things, including tea.
By Sharpie
Anything you can chuck brown sauce all over... :D