Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By NorfolkJohn
Those of you that have heard of Cromer, also known as Northrepps or even Northrepps International, may remember it as a fairly short strip that had a reputation for being a bit on the tricky side for conventional GA aircraft. That reputation was perhaps a little unjust but in any event a great deal has changed at Cromer and it is now a really good grass airfield. During 2007 a completely new airfield was created about half a mile from the old strip. The new airfield opened at the beginning of 2008 and is now well established and thriving.

The main runway is orientated 04/22 and has a displaced threshold at the 22 end due to the proximity of the Norwich Cromer railway and its associated overhead electricity lines. These are not a great hazard and are now marked to make them quite visible. The undershoot to 22 slopes up to the displaced threshold so it is not a good idea to land short as the up slope can result in a significant bounce. Beyond the displaced threshold 22 slopes slightly down hill for its entire length of 615m. This is plenty long enough for most conventional single engine aircraft. The surface is generally flat and very firm with just some slight undulations in the middle third of the runway. The grass is kept nice and short.

There is also a short (385m) cross runway aligned 15/33. This is a bit short for conventional GA singles unless there is a strong headwind, but it is used quite a bit by the resident microlights. All areas of the airfield are well drained and even in winter the runways have held up very well.

Circuits are all at 700’ AGL, Left Hand on 22 and 15 and Right Hand on 04 and 33. That is to say generally to the south of the active runway. Air to ground radio uses the Microlight frequency of 129.825 and is usually manned especially at weekends.

The airfield is owned and operated by Chris Gurney who is always helpful and welcoming to visiting pilots. PPR is required by phone. See airfield web site :

http://www.northreppsaerodrome.co.uk/

for up to date contact phone numbers. That said if you haven’t PPR’d by phone and are flying in the area and want to drop in you may well be accepted on the basis of a radio call – but it is best to phone before a first visit and get a quick briefing.

At weekends the Cabin Crew diner is open serving excellent all day breakfasts, sandwiches, burgers and paninis. The seaside town of Cromer is about a 10 minute taxi ride away and the folks at the airfield will book a taxi on request or provide details on local taxi firms. Camping is available on site.

The airfield is home to the Catch a Cloud Microlight school and Paramotor training also takes place on the airfield as does model aircraft flying. All these activities co-exist very well and do not cause problems for visitors. Further details are available on the airfield web site mentioned above.

Cromer is a great little airfield and well worth a visit.
By pilotbarry
Last weekend we walked into Northrepps, straight north, head for the church. Twenty minute walk..to the Foundry Arms. EXCELLENT lunch. To be fair to the airfield it was a flyin and the airfield diner was overloaded. Its a nice friendly airfield and last weekend it wa sjammed to capacity.
By joe-fbs
Visited yesterday and, as ably described above, it is a delightful place, how I imagine a flying club should be. Mr Gurney is clearly one of life's great characters. Cromer town is also very nice.

I think just one technical note to add to those above, I had good service from Cambridge (basic, no radar available), Lakenheath (traffic) and especially Norwich (traffic) there and back but both ways I was a bit disconcerted when, in full IMC, Lakenheath instantly and without warning terminated their radar service leaving me to free-call the next station. I know OCAS I am entitled to nothing so I'm not complaining, it was just a bit disconcerting when it happened.
By ROG
visited yesterday--Chris Gurney welcomed us. Landing was "challenging" with strong gusting x winds. Unfortunately cafe closed, Hope visit again on a nicer day when cafe open, Great improvement on previous cromer which could be "very challenging"
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Day trip for fresh crab salad - Bob Davies - Chris and all really friendly. Wonderful mix of a/c - 170A from East Kirkby - Stormin Norman - to Paramotors.

We'll be back.
By Bathman
Can't recommend this place enough. Me and the misses flew down for a night and stayed in a night over night.

Very friendly welcome. Free run of the facilities shower, toilet, briefing room and free wifi. 6 quid taxi into the town of cromer its self which is very pretty and has enough to do to keep you occupied for a couple of days.

Mogas was 150 a litre (they also have Avgas but I didn't ask how much). The runway is 615 meters long and the grass is cut so short I'm surprised the local bowling team haven't set up base there.

The price well 7 quid to land and 5 quid a night to pitch a tent and I was so impressed I offered them 30 quid but they refused!
30csl wrote:Does anyone remember the length of the old pre 2007 Cromer grass strip?

Measures out at 435m on Google Earth and my (Garmin) GPS tracks bear that out.

Google Map here.

18 & 36 numbers stil faintly visible on Google Earth:

30csl liked this