Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By Mike Cross
Lee on Solent will appear in the next edition of Pooleys and is in the MAD (Minor Aerodromes Document produced by No 1 AIDU), however all of what you need is on the website as indicated by Jon above.

Hangarage and parking for based aircraft and visitors is available as is fuel (100LL and Jet A1). Gliding, Microlighting, Rotary and Fixed Wing all co-exist on the airfield and we have some 1100 metres of tarmac oriented 23/05.

If you want to come in and visit you will need to be hosted, see the website for details, and your host will need to get PPR for you. It's not a place you can just decide to visit on the day so plan ahead. The procedures may look daunting but are not in reality. Powered circuits to the north at 1000ft aal and stay over the green bits (don't overfly the houses). We look forward to seeing you and sticking your picture in our rogues gallery. Feel free to PM Jon or myself if you need more info.
By Morgan
Lee really is a superb place to visit. I wish I lived more locally to call it my home field! The Lee Flying Association have done a magnificent job in opening it up and should be applauded for their hard work in keeping the airfield available for GA.

On a side note, I was rather taken aback to find my photo in the gallery from my first flight post IR test which was also my first flight into Lee!
By JonEBgood
Morgan wrote:Lee really is a superb place to visit. I wish I lived more locally to call it my home field! The Lee Flying Association have done a magnificent job in opening it up and should be applauded for their hard work in keeping the airfield available for GA.

On a side note, I was rather taken aback to find my photo in the gallery from my first flight post IR test which was also my first flight into Lee!

Thanks Morgan! Photos of visiting aircraft rather than another lorry park eh, who'd have thought it.
By glushuk
We flew into Lee-on Solent a few days ago - what a great staging post for visiting the historic dockyard at Portsmouth (or the surrounding area). Jon and the guys from the Lee Flying Association could not have been more helpful... Definitely one to visit!
By JonEBgood
glushuk wrote:We flew into Lee-on Solent a few days ago - what a great staging post for visiting the historic dockyard at Portsmouth (or the surrounding area). Jon and the guys from the Lee Flying Association could not have been more helpful... Definitely one to visit!

Hey, thanks - you're welcome!

http://www.eghf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=136:peterborough-flying-club-visit-historic-dockyard&catid=38:aerodrome-news&Itemid=76
By JonEBgood
Visitors welcome 7 days a week.

Key Information and local procedures in the Visitors Guide at
http://www.eghf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=129

Avgas: available by pre-arrangement only directly with Paul Coppin, Daedalus Aviation Fuel Services on 07990 511200

Unofficial Weather Sources: On Airfield http://www.phoenixaviation.net/weather/ In Solent on extended centreline - http://www.bramblemet.co.uk/
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A trip report from yesterday:

A friendly and easy to access airfield, which on a sunny day when I was looking for somewhere quiet to go and do some work without distractions was just the thing. JonEBgood of the Lee Flying Association is the man to contact for extremely helpful advice and information. Thanks,again, Jon.

Coming from the North, Solent were fairly busy so I chose to fly under the Class D via Stoney Cross and Beaulieu, squawking 0011 and listening out on 120.22 until Calshot, when a frequency change to Lee Radio saw me joining downwind for 23 - all circuits to the NW as the glider circuit is to the S. Avoiding the built up areas doesn't require too wide a circuit, and once down a backtrack and right turn onto the taxiway leads you through some blue security gates past several other busy hangars to the Lee Flying Association at Hangar B.

Parking up on the grass requires you to look out for a metal ramp from the taxiway over a difficult-to-see 'French drain' of stones, but parking on the hard is also likely to be available.

The LFA fixed caravan seen above is an excellent facility with which they must be justly pleased. Landing fees are normally paid at the tower, which is at the other side of the airfield. Fortunately LFA have a facility to leave the fee (£15 for a SEP) with them in a suitably marked envelope.

I didn't need fuel, but if you do you'll need to organise it in advance - information in Pooleys, the LFA website etc.

I was also fortunate enough to be able to take a look in the hangar at some treasures, two of which in particular caught my eye.

After a while it was time for some food. Only a five minute walk away is a pub with an aviation theme - The Wyvern - so off I went, pausing only to make sure the security guard on the gate was going to let me back in again. :) Had I not been working, the beaches are only another few minutes away.

Food was good - a home made burger with fat chips and a Coke was just what I needed.

Then back to work for a few hours, trying not to be distracted by the Tiger Moth in the circuit, the aeromodellers outside the window or the departing Scout helicopter. I finally left at 1715, just as Lee Radio closed down (lovely voice :) ), so blind calls were the order of the day.

A return trip in excellent visibility saw me arrive home 35 minutes later to see what appeared to be a microlight being ravished by a shed. :shock:

By JonEBgood
Thanks for the write-up and photo's Dave W!

For the flyer for whom food is a key element of any days flying, here is some more local info, starting with the nearest:

The Wyvern http://wyvernleeonsolent.co.uk/
Aviation Themed pub (you do know what a Wyvern looks like eh?)
Five minute walk from the Main Gate, can sit outside with view to airfield.

The Bun Penny http://www.bunpenny.co.uk/
Picturesque traditional building, family run. Pub food, and restaurant sittings. Dog friendly.
10-15 minute walk from Main Gate, south along Broom Way towards seafront.

The High Street, Lee-on-Solent 15-20 minute walk from Main Gate, south!
The town still retains a lively traditional High Street, with a varied selection of independent shops and restaurants - British, Italian (Sapori's), Indian, Chinese. Bookshop, Gadget Shop, Bakery, Pottery Painting for the Kids.

Milville Road - at the west end of the High Street
The Tea Room
Spoil yourself or other half with Very Nice Sandwiches and/or CAKES try The Tea Room
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... gland.html
Also : The White Dog Gallery. A Gift Shop I forget the name of right now.

The Seafront, Lee-on-Solent 20 minute walk from Main Gate, south
The views out to sea of the Solent and Isle of Wight from Marine Parade are forever changing and are always interesting.
The long-standing Bluebird Cafe remains a popular seafront attraction and is home to the 'large mixed 99' ice-cream and 'mega breakfast'

The Waterfront Brasserie 25 minute walk from Main Gate http://www.waterfront-brasserie.co.uk/
Right on the water front. Good food. Having arrived at Seafront, along Broom Way, from the airfield, head west along the parade for a couple of minutes. Childrens play area nearby.

If you keep heading west along seafront for five more minutes you will come to the Snack Shack which is under the climbout of runway 23. Tea, Coffee, Cake, stuff n chips. Outside eating only, but can watch the arrivals / departures close up.

A couple of other places that some folk might think are worth a short taxi-ride /bike ride

Titchfield Haven http://www3.hants.gov.uk/countryside/titchfield.htm
"A nationally renowned nature reserve, celebrated as a winter refuge for ducks, geese and wading birds, and summer breeding ground for the rare Avocet. Our hides provide spectacular views of the wildlife and a network of paths and boardwalks take you through a rare, unspoilt landscape." Has decent visitor centre with cafe garden.

The Diving Museum http://www.divingmuseum.co.uk/
"It is not yet popularly known, but Gosport is the home of the global diving industry...". Nearby cafe and beach. Dog-walking on the Browndown camp (except when Royal Marines on beach assualt exercises!)

Pebbles Fish and Wine Bar http://www.pebbleswinebar.co.uk/
Very good apparently. Can take a walk east along to Gilkicker Point for interesting perspective on the Solent scene.

The above are the local insights. For the Mainline attractions like HMS Victory, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, Shopping for SWMBO at Portsmouth Gunwharf Quays, Military Museums, Gosport-Portsmouth harbour ferry, and much more Google is your friend.
By joe-fbs
A delight to visit.

My sixteen year old wanted to be at a festival a few miles from Lee yesterday and I was faced with the dilemma on a Friday afternoon of either driving down the A34 and M3 or flying, hmm, what to do?

Anyway, landing at 1545 local, there was a cheery helpful person on Lee radio then more helpful cheery people at Sapphire Aviation who marshalled us, drove us thirty yards to their office by golf buggy and put son into his waiting taxi which they had booked and briefed for us. He was on his way to the festival about three minutes after I had shut-down!

Not wanting to rush back I asked about food and drink. The same helpful Sapphire people took me into the adjoining cabin where they have a clean, nicely decorated snack cafe. Huge ham salad baguette, tea, water, crisps and biscuit for under a fiver. Apparently at busy times the cafe is staffed by trainee cabin crew from a nearby college which while it might improve the view, could not improve the service. Notionally the airfield closes at 1700L but Sapphire was around until 1800 and I was one of a number of post 1700 departures. There was also at least one inbound as I left at 1745 so it is all very relaxed, as it should be for private aviation. Oh and the price for all this service, fifteen pounds.

Superb.

Oh and on departure I got a Solent class D transit up the river, no fuss and no delay.
By Ashley
I flew down to Lee yesterday and had the normal pleasant welcome I have received here on my previous trips, followed by a walk along the seafront to Titchfield Haven nature reserve. It was comforting to know that even though the tower closed at 5pm I was still able to leave up until 8pm by making blind calls, so I didn't feel rushed to get back to the airfield early as I sometimes feel at other places, however I do think they are taking security a little too far !! :)

Last edited by Ashley on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By joe-fbs
Revisited LoS today. It's something of a work in progress. Warm welcome, no fuss, plenty of room, lovely area, etc. Still to sort are any convenient access to food, drink and the outside world. Aircraft parking is near the tower while the only exit is by the new housing estate to the east, by The Wyvern pub. We were short of time so that really dented our visit as we did not get to the sea. They really need to sort access adjacent to the aircraft parking. Perhaps a gate with keys that can be borrowed in exchange for your aircraft keys (I made this suggestion there). We just had time to grab an orange juice at The Wyvern (oh and use the toilets as the water supply to the tower had failed on Friday evening!). Looks that it should be a great pub with two of my favourite beers (OK no use when flying), decent looking menu and lots of aviation stuff on the walls. Sadly, today it was staffed by a bunch of Sharons who managed to walk past me three times to serve / talk to people they already knew.

I am not writing to put-off visitors to the airfield, it's impressive that it has survived at all and there appears no lack of willingness to keep improving which we should support. I will go back when I can spend more time.

I cannot comment on price as all the chap in the tower did was take details for a bill to be sent later!
Last edited by joe-fbs on Mon May 19, 2014 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Timothy
I am going in on a regular basis at the moment to get work done on the aircraft and have found it to be very user friendly.

However, there is dark talk of reduced availability - like no movements after 16:30L?
By joe-fbs
Ah yes, forgot that bit. When I exchanged emails with the very nice seeming manager, he said that the current hours are 0900 to 1630 and strictly enforced. He said they are working to change this but it is going through an approval process.