An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By garethep
Neil MacG wrote:I don't have a share in an Auster any more, but tempted on my next bimble to try and understand how well the 'ol 172 can be controlled with rudder only.

I reckon it should do ok.....one of my most memorable lessons was when my FI flew an entire circuit without touching the yoke in the pa28!.....I ont think I'll try that for a good long time though.
By Timothy
I have flown quite long distances, on airways, in the Aztec using only:

• Asymmetric power or
  • Differential cowl flap or
  • Hand stuck out of storm window.
It's remarkable what boredom will create!

PRNAV would preclude it, though, as it takes quite a while to turn a corner and get restabilised.
By Gertie
Timothy wrote:I have flown quite long distances, on airways, in the Aztec using only:

• Asymmetric power or
  • Differential cowl flap or
  • Hand stuck out of storm window.
It's remarkable what boredom will create!

PRNAV would preclude it, though, as it takes quite a while to turn a corner and get restabilised.

So you haven't tried steering using the doors when sailing backwards in a floatplane?
By FlyingShack
In a 172, what you can't practice for is asymmetric flap caused by flap cable tanglement or break. That's caught a few people, though I know someone who managed to get it down with no-one hurt. They managed to find a speed and power combination that enabled them to hold it straight is with full opposite rudder.
By jerry_atrick
Well done for getting the Auster and yourself down in one piece :thumleft:

An aero club I used to be a member of had hands-off flying as one of their competitions; fly a circuit with power, rudder and trim; no control column. I was rubbish but some pilots were very good...
By Auster wobbler
A full report has now been published in the latest LAA magazine in safety spot .

Austerwobbler
By Jon Mercer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I saw it was there, but I have yet to read the article yet. But I did wonder the moment I saw it if this was indeed the incident here.
By Rob P
Good to hear you got it down safely.

Well done that man!

Rob P
By ianfallon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well handled :)

From what I remember of my Auster time, using the ailerons gave pretty much the same effect as using the rudder anyway though! :wink:
Adverse-yaw-tastic!

Loved my time in G-AJRB - great times :)
By Thumper
i have only recently joined here so have belatedly read this.

given what happened to you and, the fact you lived to tell the tale, i think this was a fine piece of airmanship to get your ship home as you did.

your escapade has encouraged me to revisit secondary effect of controls next time i am up.

T