To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By Rich V
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've recently been trying to access the Flyer Weather page for the first time, but I can only see the two Aspen Avionics advert bars in the main area, and the full sidebar of adverts. Oddly the page invites me to login, even though I am already logged in via the forum, but doing so again makes no difference. Laptop using Vista and Explorer. An e-mail / pm to markrich a week ago remain unanswered / in my outbox respectively (perhaps he's on hols).

My laptop has no fancy blocking programmes in place, as far as I'm aware, and everything else on the Navigation sidebar seems to be fully accessible.

Any help you can give this techno-numpty would be very much appreciated.
Rich
By Keef
The earlier problems went away after Mark did his thing.
Do you have "Noscript" or other protective stuff running? If so, try telling it to allow all scripts on the page.
By Rich V
Noscript? Not that I can see in my Windows Task manager, or 'All Programmes' list .... if that's where I would find it .... (I really am a techno-numpty!)

I did see the other thread, which is where I got markrich's name from. Perhaps I should have posted to that thread. Keef, please do move there if appropriate.
Thanks
By ChampChump
I get exactly the same as Rich. I can see it on Firefox, without any problems, but not on aol, which I still use a lot for various reasons (I know, I know). Being an even more techno-numpty than anyone above (Keef knows) I can only add that I have free Avast running but as the weather is ok on Firefox, I reason it's not that. There's nothing blocked by aol, according to the tab at the bottom of the page, anyway.

Having checked the other thread, I can't see anything else that applies. No greasy monkeys swinging about in my pooter...

Rich, are you able to view it now?
By Keef
You wouldn't see NoScript in your Windows "Programs" list. It's a Firefox Plug-In if you have it plugged in.
In Firefox, click on "Tools", "Add-Ons", "Extensions" and see if it's there. If it is, then it's easy to tell it to allow (or disallow forever) any particular page.

There was a problem with Greasemonkey (another add-on) and the Flyer Weather Channel, but that's been fixed. These add-ons do a brilliant job of protecting against the many nasties around on the internet. When a previously useful and innocent site is hacked, it gets onto the warning list and any pages with a link to it then get blocked. That also blocks the main page that calls the hacked site, hence some "interesting" results. I've seen pages with up to around 20 links to external sites, usually one of which has been hacked recently so blocks the whole setup.

AOL is a mystery unto itself - my only experience with it has been the problems other people have had. For me, it's in the list with Compuserve, Fidonet, and other 1990s proto-internets. I know some folks reckon it's great. It's survived, so they're doing something fairly right.
By Keef
Markrich isn't there any more. I'll point this out to the boss.
By Rich V
Bump ...

I still can't see the weather page, and from posts in other threads it sounds like I'm not alone.

Suggestions who to raise this with? G-BLEW?
By Keef
Try this direct link: http://www.flyer.co.uk/weather/

If it doesn't display, check that you don't have NoScript or AdBlocker set to block it.

If that doesn't work, what browser are you using? Do you have another browser installed, and can you try with that?
By Rich V
Keef apologies for delayed reply, and thank you for your suggestions. Direct link just the same ie two lines of Aspen Avionics advert. I'm fairly certain that I don't have NoScript or AdBlocker in place. As for the browser (and I know I'm going to get stick for this from the cognoscenti) ... solely Internet Explorer. I'm aware that I should really be using something else, such as Chrome or Firefox, but my laptop is fairly choked up and I'm loth to download any new browser at the moment. I have seen the weather video using my daughter's iThingy and Safari, so I suspect it is an IE problem - maybe the video is not set up for IE?
By Keef
I'm away at the mo using an iThing to browse, so can't check. I don't know of any problems with IE, but that's not conclusive.

My inclination would be to install Chrome (if space is tight) and dump IE. Chrome's a better browser anyway and will do a good job. I prefer Firefox, but it's larger, so if disk space is tight...

Check that your bookmarks copied over before you delete IE!
By ChampChump
Resurrection of this thread (and its forerunner). It's the first time I've tried to look at the weather here since the new website and now I cannot access it with Firefox or Opera. Tried unblocking Adblocker, to no avail.

I've no idea what else to try. It's the big black screen as previously described.