An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Charles Hunt
Assuming (!!) a left hand circuit, approaching from the south for 27 needs a 270 deg LH turn in the overhead.

Once AA has gone off doing its own thing at a lower level, go into the OH as normal and using the 270 deg turn to develop separation, maybe making extra calls to confirm your height. So yes that sounds like completing your OHJ as per your radio call.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Charles Hunt wrote:Assuming (!!) a left hand circuit, approaching from the south for 27 needs a 270 deg LH turn in the overhead.

That doesn't sound right to me. I would have thought it required no turn in the overhead. Deadside would be straight ahead to the north, so you'd cross the airfield and carry straight on to the deadside, then do a descending turn to the left by 180 degrees to put you onto a crosswind leg which then takes you across the runway again to the south side (live side) where you fly the rest of the circuit.

Alternatively you could circle the airfield doing a full 360 degrees if needed for spacing.
By Keef
Having drawn it, yes, agree. Descending 180 onto crosswind.
I'd probably cross at OHJ height over the baseleg(ish) line, so I would have a good view out of the window at the rest of the circuit. Then as Paul says.
By Charles Hunt
Quite right. D- and back of class. 270 degrees of turn after reaching the overhead to get onto the downwind leg, but not in the overhead itself.
By Paul_Sengupta
Technically it's all in the overhead, just not "in the overhead"! :D
By Roy
It might have helped if I mentioned it was a RH circuit! So I would have expected to do a 180 in the overhead before a 180 descending turn on the deadside to join at circuit height crosswind.
By Paul_Sengupta
That's how I read the original post, but then because the other aircraft went straight into a crosswind join, you decided to follow. :D

Not so good of the other pilot to call joining overhead then join crosswind.

But hey ho.
By Charles Hunt
Pass me a pen and paper..............
By Charles Hunt
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Technically it's all in the overhead, just not "in the overhead"! :D

So I was right first time?
By Paul_Sengupta
I think we got there via some sort of circuitous route.
By anglianav8r
Keef wrote:I've heard much confusion on this subject (and had a few scares in my time) so I depart from CAPwhatever.

When some minutes out, I call "X minutes to run, to join overhead" so folks should know where I am and what I intend.

When I'm overhead, I call "Overhead, descending deadside" - and do that.

If there's an A/G unit or better, I'll ask if they know any reason not to join downwind/base/final and am guided by that.

Exactly as I do. Is you copyin me ? :wink: