Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By purplefish
Im going to call the flight school this week to ask for a refund, will keep you posted on what the outcome is.
By ROG
Purple--have a look at their website--did you get what they promised. bone up. If you don"t get a refund tell them that you will be writing to the CAA with your complaint. -they are CAA REGISTERED,and also the company thay supplied the voucher.
Allt the best
ROG
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I would be a bit more charitable than some of the people on this thread. In many cases school treat "trial lessons" as jollies in the aeroplanes. "Look, there's my house" sort of trips, rather than serious flying lessons. Providing a briefing isn't perhaps the done thing for a trial lesson. When I had a trial lesson, the instructor sort of assumed I could fly, and got on with some paperwork while I flew! :roll: :D This was quite good actually, even though it sounds bad, as it meant I was definitely doing the flying!

I would also suggest that the instructor who gave you the option to fly 1) was under a bit of time pressure, 2) didn't really want to fly that day, but gave you the option in case you'd be disappointed otherwise.

I would suggest that you arrange another time, and make it clear to them that it's not just a jolly, that you want to take it seriously, perhaps because it might lead on to other things. Say you'd like a briefing beforehand. Try and arrange it for a nice day! Good luck with that last bit! Actually when I did my trial lesson it was a bit grey and miserable with a 1600ft cloudbase - I know because I chose to bob along just below the clouds! Tremendous fun! It was either the best or the worst thing I ever did...not entirely sure which. I flew in there a few years ago and said to the guy on reception, "Do you know how much money you've cost me over the years?!"
By purplefish
Rang the flight school today and no luck with a refund as it's been more than 28 days since the purchase (more than 9 months to be exact). I've rebooked for Dec 8th and it'll be with a new pilot, fingers crossed it goes ahead this time. Not sure if I'm mad or not. :?

It will be a jolley as I'd never afford to take it up and I'm happy to sit back and enjoy the view of my house. :D It was a gift after all!
By Hazel C
...be warned Purple, you may tell yourself now that you don't want to take flying up as a hobby.... but after your "jolly"....... Flying is like an incurable disease...once bitten you just want more.....

Whatever you decide, I hope that you enjoy your trip.
By PeteSpencer
purplefish wrote:Rang the flight school today and no luck with a refund as it's been more than 28 days since the purchase (more than 9 months to be exact). I've rebooked for Dec 8th and it'll be with a new pilot, fingers crossed it goes ahead this time. Not sure if I'm mad or not. :?

Have they asked for more money for the re-booked flight?
By purplefish
No, I think because I've had so many cancellations over the months.
By purplefish
Well I do expect it to be cancelled for the 5th time and it'll be a year since I got the voucher by that time.
By Paul_Sengupta
You should try for this coming weekend, it's supposed to be nice. :D