An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By NEWBIEPILOT
HI all I am new to this so hope I am writing in the correct topic.

I was a jaa/faa flying instructor in the states and had an efato and crashed landed within the airfield boundary. The reason the aircrafts engine stopped was never found but its believed to be carb ice or fouling of the plugs.

this happened over two years ago and I have been applying for jobs all over the world for instructing/commercial or any flying jobs but no one wants to touch me due to having an incident on my record. does any one know if this will always be the case or will I be able to get another job? as really not sure what to do as its getting very expensive keeping both my faa/jaa licences current.

both time and age seem to be against me as well so not sure if this is also a factor
By Keef
Getting a flying job can be notoriously difficult - there are several threads on here about that.

If I were a potential employer with a choice of two equal candidates, one with an EFATO crash on his record (and no identified reason for the engine failure), and one without, then I think I know the likely outcome. The fact that you are apparently no longer with the employer at the time of the EFATO may not help.
By NEWBIEPILOT
After the accident I was in shock and didn't ever want to get into a plane againbut after a year or so went up again then realised I still had the bug and wanted to get back into as soon as I could.

As they couldn't find a reason doesn't mean I had done a mayday call and a crash landing for no at all reason!!!!

I havent flown in the uk for a few years now so understand that jobs are hard to come by but really is my ambition to fly commercially. I just wondering if I an wasting my time and money if looking for other jobs.
By Timothy
NP,

I am not sure what answer you are looking for. If you want sympathy, you have it in spades. If you want practical advice, I suggest that Keef's view, however unfair and unjustified, is going to reflect the real world situation, as you are finding.

Shіt happens.

Maybe you should look to being a flying instructor?
By NEWBIEPILOT
No im definitely not looking for sympathy I am looking for advice. I was an instructor thats what happened. I am hoping that some one sees this who works for a commercial airline who know someone who may of had an incident who works for an airline to give me some reassurance. I have heard rumours that people who have haf an incident have got airline jobs so hoping to speak to one of them for advice
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Most airline jobs appear to go to those who have been through an approved integrated course such as that provided by CTC and the like and are paying their own type ratings, etc; or they are experienced crew with at least 500 hours jet time.
The huge majority of airline jobs are in the Middle East.

There are instructor positions around, both in the UK and abroad.

There are also jobs available in places like Australia and Indonesia flying singles and twins, if you have a bit of experience.

Have potential employers actually said that an EFATO/incident is the reason for you not receiving a job offer? The fact you survived one could be used positively I'd have thought?

You say age is against you. How old are you?
By NEWBIEPILOT
I have seen and heard about most airlines now get there pilots from big schools who done an integrated course. have thought about buying a type rating but in this climate its such a big gamble.

The reason I understand about not receiving a job offer as one employer told me that if they have two potential employees and one has a perfect record and the other has an incident they will always choose the one without the incident on the record.

I am 36 so no spring chicken.
By AndyR
NEWBIEPILOT wrote:
I am 36 so no spring chicken.

Hardly old either. Maybe too old for the airlines once you reach mid 40's and too old certainly for those who like their cadets fresh out of school, but there are those who look at older candidates. Most important seems to be currency, so stay current by whatever means.

If it helps, I got my CPL in Feb 2009. I started my first full time job in January this year. Not airline, but then I am old (47). Perserverance is key; I made some 3,000 applications in that period.
By jollyrog
You had an EFATO, you're here to tell the tale and still fit enough to fly an aeroplane?

You must have dealt with it correctly. Did your student survive too?

Surely that's positive interview discussion material, hardly a "blot".
By Sir Morley Steven
Hi newbiepilot and welcome to the forum.
You are far too young to think of giving up! We are in a recession and those who hang on will be rewarded with a job.
I cannot imagine how your accident would affect your commercial prospects.
However you say that the accident was probably caused by rough running mags or carb icing. A flying school looking for an instructor might ask themselves why these factors weren't picked up during planning and pre flight but again if you are candid in the interview I don't see why it should affect your chance of a job.
Good luck
By Merlin83b
AndyR wrote:I got my CPL in Feb 2009. I started my first full time job in January this year. Not airline, but then I am old (47). Perserverance is key; I made some 3,000 applications in that period.

Sorry for the thread drift, but Andy is that true? You actually made that many applications?! Averaging 2 per day with no days off.
By AndyR
Merlin83b wrote:
AndyR wrote:I got my CPL in Feb 2009. I started my first full time job in January this year. Not airline, but then I am old (47). Perserverance is key; I made some 3,000 applications in that period.

Sorry for the thread drift, but Andy is that true? You actually made that many applications?! Averaging 2 per day with no days off.

Just checked my spreadsheet. 3217 total. Applications for advertised positions, letters with cv attached, online applications, updated cv with covering letter....you get the picture.
Vital to keep a spreadsheet so updates are at regular intervals. Cost me a fortune in envelopes, paper and stamps too.

1 interview. Another arranged and then cancelled after I was offered current position. Current position was an offer over the phone, no application, but a great deal of ad hoc part time stuff done for them over a two year period - so it's not what you know....as the old saying goes.
By lordbonville
Get a job as an instructor.

If, after another couple of thousand hours no incidents, then apply again.

Think I wrote 2 letters and got told no thanks. Within 6 months I was approached via a completely different channel and got job with 1st company I wrote to. 5 years later I got job with 2nd company through a work colleague.
Point is churning out letters appears not to be working so try another approach.