Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Before a discussion today I was 100% certain yes, but a pilot here has asked at Shoreham and the CAA and received a no and a silence...

Could anyone quote the relevant scripture?

Cheers!
Article 62 of the ANO, as referenced in Section 4, Part B, para 2 of CAP 804:
Non-EASA Aeroplanes – Article 62(5) of the ANO renders the EASA LAPL(A) to be a valid licence with the same privileges for non-EASA aeroplanes.
Eh??

I've never understood this nonsense.

Surely if the licence says fixed wing up to 2000kg (or whatever) it shouldn't matter if its EASA, LAA, N-reg, or even on the chinese register, if its within Europe (the remit of the LAPL) then you should be able to fly it.

For example I've never understood the need to have an FAA licence to fly N-reg aircraft in Europe (or is that solely linked to the FAA IR?)

Its pure nonsense that today I can fly C of A spancans on my NPPL (SSEA) but soon I won't, because they'll fall under EASA's remit.

So much for European integration not leading to the loss of privileges...

Andy
By patowalker
What the CAA has said is that because the LAPL is not an ICAO compliant licence, it is not valid to fly Annex II aircraft abroad. At present, agreement to recognise the licence for use with Annex II aircraft is required from each EU country. The matter is being discussed within EASA, but how interested they are in sorting out a problem for owners of non-EASA aircraft remains to be seen.
By Irv Lee
carlmeek wrote:Before a discussion today I was 100% certain yes, but a pilot here has asked at Shoreham and the CAA and received a no and a silence...
Could anyone quote the relevant scripture?
Cheers!

From years of listening to pilots saying 'I asked xxx, and the CAA replied yyy', on deeper delving, in the past, it almost always comes down to the pilot actually asked a slightly different question to the one he claims he asked. (There have been a couple of exceptions in the Oct-Nov 2012 period of overload, but generally it is tracked back to pilot changing the question slightly in 'downstream' reporting!)

patowalker wrote:What the CAA has said is that because the LAPL is not an ICAO compliant licence, it is not valid to fly Annex II aircraft abroad.

Just had a little chat with CT (manning Popham radio). He's already had to 'intercept' and correct clubroom chat today that 'the problem with a LAPL is that it is not valid on permit SEPs/SSEAs'. It's always the wrong info that spreads faster than the right info
By Cookie
Here's a chart I have compiled to help understand the transition period. You can use it in association with Irv's web page.

For the original file visit

http://www.joncooke.net
Last edited by Cookie on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Delta Juliet
Jon,

Thanks for posting that. I think the PPL plus medical declaration option expires at the end of Sept 2013 so won't be an option for much longer, and so won't be valid for EASA aircraft after 7th April 2014.

I do wonder what will happen to all of this if we decide to leave Europe in the referendum.
By Cookie
Thanks DJ,

I will change that one to an 'amber' because if they have added an SSEA rating on to their UK PPL they can!

Cookie
By Smaragd
Jon,

Since some of the earlier postings mentioned flight abroad, is it worth emphasising that (as I understand it) your table applies to flying in the UK and that the position is/may be different for flights within other European countries, particularly in respect of the UK licences and non-EASA aircraft.
By Delta Juliet
Jon,

I hadn't realised that I could use my UK PPL with a medical declaration after Sept 2013 if I got an SSEA rating. I thought the option to use an NPPL medical declaration with a PPL was ending completely then?

This is quite a minefield. I have a UK PPL and fly an LAA aircraft using my UK PPL, SEP rating and a medical declaration. When I want to go abroad then I get a class 2 medical and off I go.

I am trying to work out my options (and the costs) for Sept, but its a nightmare.

Someone could make a fortune by offering an advice service.
By Smaragd
Thanks Jon, I should have known you'd have captured it!