Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I walked into the Chiang Mai Museum yesterday and saw this:

Is there a story behind this?

By Rotorboater
There is a rumour that there are 25 brand new ones buried in shipping crates at a disused airfield :wink:
By beelzebub
I don't know the story, but I do know George Aylett very well! He is big mates with my father and I was talking to him for ages about all things aeronautical at my Dads 80th birthday bash last year. I know he ended up flying Harriers, but the Hunter was certainly his first love.

I will try and find out the story and report back.

Mark
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
That's 20 Sqn RAF, who operated Hunters from 1960-1970 at RAF Tengah, Singapore; the squadron badge is described as:

RAF wrote:In front of the rising sun, an eagle, wings elevated and perched on a sword - approved by King George VI in June 1937. The rising sun is intended to commemorate the unit's long association with the East. The eagle is perched on 'Talwar' indicative of the Squadron's work with the Army in India.

RB: :lol:
By Tarnish
"The Squadron spent six months during 1962 in Thailand as a counter to communist incursions from Laos." that from the Sqn page on RAF website.

Steve
By Tarnish
: picture of the Sqn at Tengah 63 with George in it.

Too much time on my hands :D ,

Mark/Michael you might like to look at "The RAF Forum 20 Sqn" lots of good stuff there.

Steve
By beelzebub
I have just got off the telephone to George Aylett - the guy photographed in the original picture!

He confirmed that it was likely to be him in the photograph, and certainly "his" Hunter as he was indeed in Chiang Mai in 1962.

I have alerted him to the tread and he will be filling in the details in a few days time. I wasn't aware,but he is only two days out of hospital after having a knee joint replaced (he was a very good skier..) and he can't get to his computer until he is a little more mobile!

Mark
By Tarnish
Mark,
thanks for the update. I hope he enjoys looking at some of those links should bring back a few memories for him.

Steve
By beelzebub
To follow this up as promised, I have received an email which is copied below albeit slightly edited to depersonalise.

Hi Mark,

Yes , the photo is of 'my' aircraft at Chieng Mai in the early 60's. I know the face of the pilot shaking hands but cannot remember his name after all this time. I've checked my album but still no joy.

We (20 Sqn) went to Chieng Mai in September 1962, for the Thai/Laos border dispute. A precurser to the VietNam war (which we were not involved in directly). We had a tented camp at Chieng Mai, and the Squadron was there for some months before we had to return to Singapore for the Borneo/Indonesian Campaign in mid 1963.

Anything else I can contribute, then please tell me. But the best thing would be for you to arrange to come and see us - we'd both love to see you.

George
By Tarnish
Mark

thanks again for that update, :thumleft: I had assumed that it was George in the original picture.

Sounds like you had better go and see him and have a chat :wink:

Steve
By aerofurb
By coincidence, a friend of mine was recently going through some photographs that belonged to her father and this was one of them, presumably from the same detachment:

(iPhone scan of the original...)