An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Keef
It was a glorious afternoon for a bimble.

I rolled the little Jodel out of the hangar, did a very careful preflight because she hadn't flown since before Christmas, and then strapped in.
The field is at 200 feet amsl, and being a QNH person I twiddled the altimeter from the 300 indicated to 200 feet. Off we went for a delightful bimble over rural Suffolk. The fields were mostly dry, and the strip (which is well drained) was in good shape. The weather had been CAVOK although there were now a few little wisps here and there. Visibility was 50nm or more - I could see Sizewell, Ipswich, Woodbridge, and the villages towards Halesworth on climbout from the strip.

Eventually, the need for coffee called me back, and I did a full OHJ with all the trimmings, just for the fun of it. Deceptive how high it seems over these rural parts, thought I. When I turned final, at 700 feet indicated, the runway looked an awfully long way below. More like 1500 feet AGL, in fact.

Round we went, and I turned final the next time at -300 feet indicated and all went well. Silly, really, because I knew the QNH was around 1033 but didn't double-check it in the Kollman window. Another one to chalk up to experience!
By chipmeisterc
Maybe I'm being slow, but I don't quite get what went wrong if you set it to 200 on the ground? Or did you miss the positions of the thousands hand?
By Keef
Exactly so. The big hand was on 200, I didn't notice that the little hand was left of zero or that the window said something like 995.