Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By SpeedBird
I was full of hope for the paved runway, however I fear for the aerodrome if the owners to do not wish to proceed with the development. I do not want to see GA operations disappear from EGKR.
By Satcop
SpeedBird wrote:I was full of hope for the paved runway, however I fear for the aerodrome if the owners to do not wish to proceed with the development. I do not want to see GA operations disappear from EGKR.

The owners are fully committed to running a GA aerodrome. At the Board Meeting yesterday (21 Dec) they agreed to go ahead with an appeal of the two refusals, the start of 2012 should be interesting.
By Satcop
The weather information on our website has been amended to allow pilots to see the ATIS screen. There are also screens giving a graphical representation of the visibility and cloud.

Outside ATC hours the data presented is complied automatically; pilots should be aware of the limitations of automatic weather observing systems.
By James Chan
I visited Redhill for the first time:

I made two landings of which were fairly quick turnarounds to pick up a passenger and to drop him off later that same day.

First landing: Inbound VFR from North Weald. Then outbound IFR to Ostend.

Did the usual bits: Listened to the ATIS on Box 2, and Farnborough passed me over to Gatwick who set me up on long final on 26L at Redhill. Gatwick then passed me over to Redhill TWR but they lost my details and then asked me to ROCAS which seemed odd as I was already cleared inside it.

Landed smoothly, although perhaps a bit flat, and taxied over to the parking area. I clarified with ATC whether my taxiway clearance included crossing 26R in which they said yes. After parking my passenger was already waiting - he jumped in and off I went again!

Not much else appeared to be going on at the time. Maybe two or three others doing some local / circuit stuff.

ATIS was still the same. I taxiied to A1, did my departure checks and cleared to line up and take off. After departure I was passed over to Thames. Instruction was ROCAS to begin with and then eventually cleared into the London TMA.

Second landing: Inbound IFR (--> VFR transition) from Ostend. Then outbound VFR to North Weald.

London descended me through the TMA and passed me over to Gatwick who checked with me that I was now VMC and had the field in sight before passing me over to Redhill. 26L was in use again. And this time they had my details! :)

Bounced on landing and taxied over to the same place again. Dropped my passenger off and went to pay my landing fees but found the counter unmanned. Eventually I found someone to take my payment of £18.00 * 2 +VAT.

Again not much else appeared to be going on at the time. Maybe one or two others doing some local / circuit stuff...

After that departed in the same manner as before towards the east. This time they didn't hand me off to Thames. I requested a climb to 2000ft but this was refused so I just contined in a bit of muck at some 1300ft until I left Gatwick's area. Then I was passed over to Farnborough when I was well clear of the area.

A good aerodrome kept in good condition nonetheless. I will visit again and will hopefully get to explore the area and try out some food!
By PortAndCheese
Just interested. On your first arrival from the North VFR, why talk to Gatwick? I thought it's possible to remain outside CAS and join straight to Redhill's ATZ through one of the VRPs.
By James Chan
That's definitely possible.

I just didn't fancy taking low level or narrow corridors when there's already a larger area of airspace that was available for me to use.
By chevvron
James Chan wrote:That's definitely possible.

I just didn't fancy taking low level or narrow corridors when there's already a larger area of airspace that was available for me to use.

There's not really a 'narrow corridor'; Redhill ATC will tell you to join via the Motorway Junction (26) or west of Riegate (08). Just follow the tower's instructions and you'll be OK. If they tell you to join overhead, don't let the wind drift you south of the runway otherwise you will interfere with the helicopter circuit pattern and you will get told off! :(
By Satcop
The Planning Inspector's decision on our appeal against the refusal of planning permission by both Reigate & Banstead Borough Council and Tandridge District Council has been published; the appeal has been refused.

Although the majority of points in favour of the application were noted by the Inspector very little weight was given to them, by contrast points against were given greater weight. In the end the Inspector was of the view that "the harm to the Green Belt and other harm" was too great.

The 25 page document can be seen here http://www.redhillaerodrome.com/images/Downloads/decision.pdf

We will now take stock and see how we can make best use of the existing facilities.
By KingJames
A real shame in my view, what are the realistic options? I would assume any change of surface would need planning approval, hardcore for example.