Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Biggin_lad
Right time for a second topic:

Can anyone shed any light on Spilstead Farm, near Hastings.

I know that Cole Aviation are based there, but only just found that out - so any info with regard to the strip length and wheather they accept visiting aircraft would be welcome.

Oh and btw I'll be counting how many posts before it goes off topic!!!

Thanks!
StratoTramp liked this
By Talkdownman
Been in there in the old Cherrytree. Very friendly. Bit of a switchback, but great fun! Not for low-timers. Maintenance facility there. 01424 870247 / 870899. Heed Mr Coles advice on noise abatement, which I recall was as follows:

Approach via Bewl water, west tip of Darwell reservoir with Brightling to west, south towards Bexhill, Keep Battle on left until due west of large towers at Hastings, turn towards the towers, Crowhurst on left, over the ridge 460 ft spot height, over ther forestry land, northerly heading to n. tip of forestry land, over the wood, north end gap in woods, Battle road and A21 T-junction on left...puts you on final for 34.

Just like that.

Doesn't guarantee they'll let you in though.
By Old Pilot
Biggin_lad wrote:Right time for a second topic:

Can anyone shed any light on Spilstead Farm, near Hastings.
Oh and btw I'll be counting how many posts before it goes off topic!!!
Thanks!

So will I :lol:

OP
By Old Pilot
Talkdownman wrote:Been in there in the old Cherrytree. Very friendly. Bit of a switchback, but great fun! Not for low-timers. Maintenance facility there. 01424 870247 / 870899. Heed Mr Coles advice on noise abatement, which I recall was as follows:

Approach via Bewl water, west tip of Darwell reservoir with Brightling to west, south towards Bexhill, Keep Battle on left until due west of large towers at Hastings, turn towards the towers, Crowhurst on left, over the ridge 460 ft spot height, over ther forestry land, northerly heading to n. tip of forestry land, over the wood, north end gap in woods, Battle road and A21 T-junction on left...puts you on final for 34.

Just like that.

Doesn't guarantee they'll let you in though.

I've also been in there in a PA28 but you mentioned the challenge in your intro Talkdownman but left the best bit out.

How is the final :lol: :lol:
By Papa Sierra
I am planning to visit a friend who lives near Spilstead Farm on Saturday / Sunday but can't get hold of anyone at the airfield for PPR. Is the strip still active?
By Old Pilot
pschartau wrote:I am planning to visit a friend who lives near Spilstead Farm on Saturday / Sunday but can't get hold of anyone at the airfield for PPR. Is the strip still active?

Yes.
Just sent you Bill's mobile number. He has a Robin so you should be fine.

Let us know how you get on.

Any probs pm me and I can arrange a strip nearby which is 800 metres and flat unlike Spilstead.
StratoTramp liked this
By Old Pilot
pschartau wrote:Got hold of Bill, all briefed and ready to go.
Thanks again for your help.

Let us know next week how it went.
By Stampe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Still shown as a gliding site I used to visit regularly in the 1990s and never saw any evidence of gliding then and passing by since no sign of gliding activity. A ploy to get traffic to avoid their overhead and not the only site doing this!
Regards Stampe
Fly Safe Considerate Compliant.
By Gordon Freeman
There used to be a great deal of gliding activities at Spilsted Farm, although none has taken place for a few years now. I did have an EFATO experience there back in 1982, so there was definitely a minute or two's gliding back then.
NeilWin liked this
By russp
Stampe wrote:Still shown as a gliding site I used to visit regularly in the 1990s and never saw any evidence of gliding then and passing by since no sign of gliding activity. A ploy to get traffic to avoid their overhead and not the only site doing this!
Regards Stampe
Fly Safe Considerate Compliant.

Or possibly just a reflection of how difficult it is to get the chart information relating to airfields changed, the owner at our airfield tried to get the microlight notation removed and met so many obstacles she just gave up!
By Paul_Sengupta
Rhigos is also down as a gliding site, but the gliding club closed a good ten years ago now when the person who ran it died. It's got a couple of powered aeroplanes based there.