A place for regular members to sell their aviation stuff (non-commercial only pls, and no aircraft for sale)
Forum rules: Non-Aviation or commercial items are not accepted. The option to put items for sale here is in the first place for regular posters, if you are not (yet) a regular poster it may be that your ad will not be accepted.

Buyers and sellers should be aware that Flyer Forums or its parent company are not responsible for the articles put up for sale here nor can be held liable for any part of the transaction process - the usual internet buying and selling caveats apply and should be borne in mind when dealing with buyer/sellers through an internet site.
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a second hand parachute, or possibly a pair.

Yes I've seen the VW advert! :lol:

It's not something I have a huge amount of experience with and I appreciate certain models are somewhat cockpit specific. That said I suspect the type you mostly sit on would be better suited to my needs.

Are any forumites looking to sell? Or, alternatively, any recommendations as to the best places to look?

(I've messaged a couple of guys from the ads on the British Aerobatics Classifieds section but to no reply..)

I'm based in the South East but happy to travel.

Thanks!
Thanks FD

The aircraft is an RV8. I'm 6ft 2 and so with the seat cushion in, my head is fairly close to the canopy and my knees to base of instrument panel. Removing the cushion gives quite a bit more space to play with, which is why I suspect the seat variants may be better suited. That said some of the low profile softies I suspect would also fit.

In an ideal world it would be great to try a few different types on in the aircraft to see what works but will require some logistics to do so. I'm also aware that what might feel comfy upon initial testing may not do so after 40-50 minutes.

Any wisdom/suggestions welcome as it's something I have little to no experience with. (I've worn both the seat and back variants in other types as pax, but never given much thought to it, other than strapping myself into whatever is provided. I've certainly not noticed enough of a difference between the two to have a preference in my limited exposure.)

Edit :-

Once you've bought it get it inspected and repacked.
If you don't do that you might be better off investing in a chov´collate fireguard.

Agreed!
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I suggest you go to a parachute shop, such the one near Kidlington (think they are called RD Aviation), have a chat with them and see what can be arranged.

Most good shops will have a range of types and brands and would be happy for you to try and sit with it on in the cockpit.

Alternative speak to some RV mates, see what they use and ask if you can borrow one/another for a try.

If the chutes will only be worn for short aero sessions comfort is slightly less important. If you routine fly with the thing on as we do in gliding cross country flights and competitions it is VERY important.

Once you know what you want find one of that type and brand at a price that fits.

Chutes for passengers just needs to be safe and easy to don if they're just coming for a jolly. If it is for folks joining you on longer trips then the above suggestion for the primary chute is applicable here.

It is sometimes possible to pick up a good second hand chute for a reasonable price (again there are worse places to look than in a good shop) but it is also possible to buy a bag of worthless rubbish from the internet, caveat emptor!

I don't think we've ever met but you write nice posts, and clearly have excellent taste in aeroplanes (RV8 - yes Sir!) So buy something that works!

;)
Hello,

I have a Softie 240 Long parachute for sale, had it re-packed a month ago.
Also advertised on the British Aerobatic Association website.
https://www.aerobatics.org.uk/for-sale-and-wanted

It is very flexible, as the seat element has a thin foam pad in it. The holder opens up very easily as it secured by velcro and you can add to it if you want to make it thicker, or you take out the pad to make more headroom. I find this setup very versatile and helped me in different situations. In a Pitts I added packing as I was not using a foam seat. In a Slingsby, I was removing the padding from the chute as I was seating on the padded seat.

Contact me on 0744 275 5512 - Costas
lambropoulos.costas@gmail.com