Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By JonnyS
Emerald Islander wrote:Your interpretation is correct Dave, CAP 804 refers to 'refresher' explicitly for Renewal ,

there is however no definition for refresher training for Revalidation (when 'the hour with an instructor' is relevant)..

So what are the requirements for this new word "refresher" as it applies to Revalidation?

I'm about to do a 'biennial' check for my LAPL, (bare with me). This is to meet the refresher training requirement as I've met the 12 hours in 24 months etc. My question is, my club treat it like a PPL biennial, in order to work to the most restrictive standard. As I've got 5+ hours of dual aeros training in the past 12 months, can any of this retrospectively apply as 'refresher' training?
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JonnyS wrote:I'm about to do a 'biennial' check for my LAPL.... As I've got 5+ hours of dual aeros training in the past 12 months, can any of this retrospectively apply as 'refresher' training?

Entirely for you to decide. Nothing to do with anyone else, you don't have to ask anyone to check and sign your licence. If you decide it doesn't count, when was the last time you did a dual hour that did count? If you decide it does count, why are you doing another hour?
JonnyS liked this
By JonnyS
Irv Lee wrote:
JonnyS wrote:I'm about to do a 'biennial' check for my LAPL.... As I've got 5+ hours of dual aeros training in the past 12 months, can any of this retrospectively apply as 'refresher' training?

Entirely for you to decide. Nothing to do with anyone else, you don't have to ask anyone to check and sign your licence. If you decide it doesn't count, when was the last time you did a dual hour that did count? If you decide it does count, why are you doing another hour?

This makes sense, thank you Irv. The confusion has arisen as the club think the hour must mirror the PPL 'proficiency check'.

So I can take it that my last hour with an instructor (aeros and upset recovery training) can be classed as the refresher training.

:thumleft:
By Irv Lee
So did you know you work on (2 years of historical hours before any flight you do) rather than (logging hours before a future date plus "see someone for a signature in licence")? Also, did you realise all the historic twelve hours must be p1 before any flight PLUS a 13th training hour on top, plus all the historic twelve take offs and landings have to be p1, the training sessions where pilots are improving their landings from dire to good don't count at all for validity, just the bad ones whilst p1 count.
By Irv Lee
Is that "test" thing now "in" FD? And if so, how long does a test "last"? 2 years? I have lost track of whether it has emerged from the swamp of committees and processes yet, it takes EASA so long to fix their Fails. I have some vague recollection of something happening, but certainly at F'hafen last year their answer was not to do a test (as that didn't count) but to pay for supervised solo.... working on an example of someone lacking 6 hours p1, the EASA guy seemed totally oblivious to how much (say) six hours supervised solo costs at an ATO compared to a test.
Irv Lee wrote:So did you know you work on...

Irv, yes I've always understood it that LAPL validity looks backwards, as it were. The real confusion was related to the 'refresher training' within the previous 24 months.

I was told that "those 5 hours of whatever instruction you've logged 6 months ago can't count towards keeping the LAPL valid, because it was whatever instruction. It would count if flown with the intention of being a proficiency-style check flight."

So ultimately, they thought I need another hour of specific 'proficiency check' style dual flying, but I don't.