Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By Bathman
Is a whopping £785 and its now done by industry examiners. How an earth can they justify this price when the examiner gets cica 200 quid.
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
At least it hasn't really gone up over the last 5 years. One of those extras that you're never told about until just before booking a test.
By Arnold Rimmer
HOW MUCH??

Yet another thing that discourages a PPL from holding an EASA IR.

So the IR remains an elitist qualification for skygods when it should be available to all PPLs'
By GrahamB
Arnold Rimmer wrote:HOW MUCH??

Yet another thing that discourages a PPL from holding an EASA IR.

So the IR remains an elitist qualification for skygods when it should be available to all PPLs'

I agree it's a scandal, but as with all CAA charges, it's not based on the actual direct cost, but just an arbitrary allocation of the overall costs, plus the x% margin which they are mandated to return by HMG.

The IR is available to all PPLs, and more available than ever via the CBM route and the availability of the TK exams at more locations. The overhead costs, such as the CAA fees for TK exams and test, are higher than desirable but I don't see why, when stacked up against all the other costs of getting and using* an IR, £785 alone puts it into 'Sky God-ness'.

*Access to a suitable aircraft i.e two altimeters, 8.33Khz, Mode S, BRNAV, and an annual Navdata subscription as a bare minimum. Oh, and a subscription to PPL/IRE which as an instrument qualified pilot is the best £70 you'll spend each year.
By bookworm
I don't think it's "two altimeters" any more, though that's a trivial cost compared to the others.
By Dave W
GrahamB wrote:The IR is available to all PPLs, and more available than ever via the CBM route and the availability of the TK exams at more locations. The overhead costs, such as the CAA fees for TK exams and test, are higher than desirable but I don't see why, when stacked up against all the other costs of getting and using* an IR, £785 alone puts it into 'Sky God-ness'.

I have never understood the viewpoint that says, in effect: "This is really expensive, so if it's made even more expensive, it doesn't matter and you shouldn't complain".

[And you knew this bit was coming] Remind me again what the equivalent costs to attain and maintain an FAA/IR are?
By joe-fbs
I checked the aeroplane equipment rules for Class A recently as part of trying to work out whether to go for an EIR (or even a full one) and the two altimeters requirement is still there.

I am still in two minds. Advice from a couple of schools that with an IR(R) already, I might as well go straight for a full IR by the CB route as the increase in costs and time over an EIR is minimal.

Best I can asses, it would cost me about £6000 to do the course and test.
By David Wood
Having just done the full IR by the CBM route I would recommend it. I can't see any value in the EIR.