Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Silly boy!....they'd do themselves out of a job , checking that the right bit of paper was there, the right box ticked. Then there's all the jobs created for examiners who need to be reasonably literate, therefore well-paid.

job- creation, innit.
By Keef
The FAA chap at the FSDO said, at the end of the chat, "Well, you don't need to do the English proficiency test".
The Beamter in the office in Köln issuing my Führerschein didn't have an English-based German language proficiency test, and asked if I could to the Turkish, Greek, or Italian. After some discussion when I explained I wasn't exactly fluent in those, he said "Well, you are fluent in German, so let's ignore that bit".
By Joff
Keef - would you like to remove that last sentence
By Keef
Joff wrote:Keef - would you like to remove that last sentence

For you, of course. But I do still wonder why they can't assess English competence. The FAA FSDO chap could, and the Zulassungsbeamter could assess my German.
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As a native english speaker, I don't see why such UK examiners (when suitably trained) may not conduct LPE to English Level 4 or 5, and are restricted by the UK CAA to conducting LPE for ONLY Level 6.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_St ... 122012.pdf

Cookie
By Arnold Rimmer
If the current system is meant to work, it clearly doesn't

I have met non-UK pilots who communicate in English but it is clearly not their first or even second language. Yet, on checking their licence, they have a Level 6 English Proficiency. I simply cannot understand the CAA on this point when they made me a Level 4 in the first instance, despite the fact I am clearly born and bred in the UK. If they issued me with a Level 4, then HRH Prince Harry should be a Level 3 as he is clearly German and can't communicate effectively.........

Are the examiners giving a Level 6 because that's all they can?? IMHO, yes. If they could award a Level 4, I am sure they would for a good number. A level 4 is more applicable to the pilots I am thinking of.

(edited to correct poor spelling and poor English)
Last edited by Arnold Rimmer on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
By davey
Based at Bournemouth I hear the Ryanair pilots quite often, but must admit I can't always understand them...
By davidair
as a native speaker of English, I was given my English level 6 by a German native examiner in Germany... go figure...
By James33
Level 6 language proficiency in French awarded by the DGAC on the basis of a short chat with the lady who does the licences.

Level 6 English obtained by taking an exam at a DGAC centre. Some of the listening exercises were incomprehensible - god only knows how non-native speakers manage it!