Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
There was a wave of enthusiasm for the RTC and the unit has been up and running now since April 2014 and if I am correct (which more often than not is not the case) there is something like 24 people working there.

However the changes that have come through aren't really blockbusters in fact none of them really make things any better than the old national regulations that we had pre JAR. We also haven’t really seen a huge amount of change either.

This industry really needs things to change and to do so in a dynamic fashion to cut the red tape and allow the industry to try and regain some of its former glory.

So do I have a point in stating that not a lot has really changed and the pace of the change is too slow or am I being impatient?

We do of course have an election in 5 months time and I worry which direction things may go then.
By Arnold Rimmer
the unit has been up and running now since April 2014 and if I am correct (which more often than not is not the case) there is something like 24 people working there.

Assuming you mean the GA Unit, not when I have telephoned, there hasn't been.
My experience is there is one bloke who answers the phone and takes messages because there isn't anyone else.
By Edward Bellamy
However the changes that have come through aren't really blockbusters in fact none of them really make things any better than the old national regulations that we had pre JAR. We also haven’t really seen a huge amount of change either.

Any particular changes you would like to see?
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think a one sentence per item list is called for:-

No requirement for AME medical, if you drive you can fly.
Rebate of all duty on Avgas whether for UK or European flying
Lower rate or nil VAT on Flight training.
Free radio licencing for airfields.
Financial grant for changing serviceable radio gear to 8.33Khz
Permits for all aircraft less than 1500kg over 30yrs old (rolling) not in current production if required by owner.
Mandatory Planning protection for all airfields, licenced or not - in UK government planning policy.
Removal of 90 day rule to allow carrying of competant person for familiarisation flight (has this been done already ?)
Night flying in suitably equipped permit aircraft.
Free SEP to SSEA endorsement/licence changes.
CAA to have a national veto on silly EASA rules.
By davey
Flying_john wrote:I think a one sentence per item list is called for:-

Rebate of all duty on Avgas whether for UK or European flying
Lower rate or nil VAT on Flight training.
Free radio licencing for airfields.
Financial grant for changing serviceable radio gear to 8.33Khz
Permits for all aircraft less than 1500kg over 30yrs old (rolling) not in current production if required by owner.
Mandatory Planning protection for all airfields, licenced or not - in UK government planning policy.
Removal of 90 day rule to allow carrying of competant person for familiarisation flight (has this been done already ?)
Night flying in suitably equipped permit aircraft.
Free SEP to SSEA endorsement/licence changes.
CAA to have a national veto on silly EASA rules.

100% Agree with the above 8)
By James Chan

Removal of 90 day rule

Interestingly enough, most of my non-pilot friends will not fly with me until they discovered pilots undergo medical checks and I could tell them I'm reasonably current.

I'm currently 'mentoring' a low hours pilot who has forgotten a lot in the 4-5 weeks of him not flying.
By trevs99uk
A few more.

No manadatory handling at larger airfields for General aviation.
TBO,s for General Aviation to be changed to on condtion.
Lifed parts for Genaral aviation to be changed to on condition.
Part M maintenance to be done same way you have your car MOT,d and Serviced.
8.33 not for general aviation.
By Arnold Rimmer
Would the one big thing be (and it would answer many of Flying John's points) to allow all simple and/or 30 year old and/or un-supported, single engined, privately owned aircraft to operate on a permit and for the pilot to operate without a medical. That would do away with the need for Part M, ARCs and all the associated rubbish on the maintenance side and make life simpler for pilots.

It would be great if the Government would protect airfields from re-development. What we really need is positive action, possibly allowing the 28 day rule to become a 90 day rule for small airstrips?? That way the country could build a network of small strips with one near to every town.

But you have to be careful with wishing for mandatory handling to be outlawed. It already is, as far as I know, outlawed. It is the airport owners who fail to provide any facility for "self-handling" so making handling mandatory and allowing a few smug gits in offices to rake in money for no service at all.

But is anyone from the CAA still reading this forum?
By Joff
'But is anyone from the CAA still reading this forum?'

Yep :) and some of this is on the future work list in one way or another at http://www.caa.co.uk/GA

But a lot of this list is beyond the CAA's gift eg you'll need to speak to Mr Osbourne re tax!
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
…and listening on Christmas Day!

Have a good one Joff

Ian
By Arnold Rimmer
Joff wrote:'But is anyone from the CAA still reading this forum?'
Yep :) and some of this is on the future work list in one way or another at http://www.caa.co.uk/GA

That's good to know.
Hopefully what isn't within the gift of the CAA can, as appropriate, be brought to the notice of EASA through the lead that CAA is taking in GA reform.
By SteveN
UK wide listening squawks would seem like a quick win