Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By Bathman
When you submit an NPPL application form to the the GP you have to tick a box explaining what types of aircraft you intend to fly eg SSEA, SLMG, Microlight etc

Whats the purpose of this?

Say someone ticked the box for SSEA and then obtained a NPPL (SSEA) on that basis. However later they wanted to fly an SLMG or Microlight. What do they do go back to their GP and get another form filled in?

I propose that the above boxes get scrapped and be replaced by one generic term covering types.
By flyingjohno
I've also mulled this, as I have both SSEA and Microlight ratings and thus tick both boxes...... but then I have to contact an MDA because of an underlying medical issue, but which one? Each supporting organisation has their own..... but contacting both MDAs seems barking given that it's the same medical standard. So I've historically contacted the SSEA (LAA) MDA on the basis that was the "heavier" type (step forward Mr Flying Dutch!), but no idea if that's what's intended, it's very unclear. It does need a good coat of sorting out.......
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not sure this is red tape? I will have a look into it when I get a moment. Maybe just included for data gathering?

Cookie
By Flyin'Dutch'
The boxes will be gone from the next iteration of the form.

I understand that they were put on there to help GPs decide which MDA to contact.

Although it is possible to contact any MDA in relation to a query there is some benefit in contacting the MDA for your flying activity, not just so you can get tailored advice but also as the resource available is reflected on the amount of work involved.

All MDAs are volunteers, there are only a few, 2 for Microlights, one for ballooning and one for gliding&LAA.
By chevvron
I'm glad I'm not the only one still using the declaration, although when I went for my FISO medical the other day, my GP said she signs 'quite a few' of them but I'm the only FISO form she signs.(Have to have an actual examination for FISO and get the NPPL declaration signed at the same time.)
By low&slow
Frank,

The current form cites the minimum age for the declaration as "6 months prior to your 16th birthday (the minimum age for solo flying)", do you know if this will be changed to reflect the lower minimum age for solo glider flying?
By Flyin'Dutch'
No, it won't.

Kids need to get a LAPL medical certificate, which can be done by their GP.

For those whose GP does not want to do a LAPL medical certificate you will have to go to an AME. Some benign one does them very cheaply.