Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By PaulB
I realise that this is too late for the red tape challenge, but wonder in this age why certified (by an FE/HoT) copies of passports are required when interacting with the CAA online?

I attempted to fill in my EASA conversion online but was scupper end by the website saying that I needed to supply a certified copy of my passport. I didn't have one of these so had to complete a paper form and post it.

I called the CAA the next day to ask whether passport copy was really required (as it wasn't listed in the prerequisites before completing the online form.)

I was told that all online forms required a copy of a passport. Given that we're now in 2014, and all sorts of transactions are carried on online, why is the CAA unable to devise the sorts of systems that almost every other organisation has from Facebook to supermarkets to banks and do away with the ridiculous passport requirement?

(Of course there is the possibility that what I was told when I phoned them was not quite true!)
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Further to this, why do physical forms for Ratings etc require a certified copy of Passport (and in some cases a certified copy of your medical)?

It makes even less sense, given that you have had a face to face meeting with an instructor and probably also the Head of Training, who signs the form as well as the copies.

Why not simply amend the forms to say that, by signing it, the HoT must have satisfied him/herself via photo ID that the applicant is who they say they are, and that their medical was in date?

Aren't HoTs to be trusted?
By Keef
Nope.

In the USA, the examiner issues a certificate on the spot (if you pass) and you can use the new licence/rating instantly. No passports or log books needed to persuade the FAA.
The CAA reckons examiners and HOT aren't to be trusted. Or maybe it's EASA. Or ICAO. Or whoever.