Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have no idea why the CAA need certified copies of documents they already have, thats another issue but as they do, why does the HOT have to certify them?
I think, as the owner of a flying club and an unrestricted instructor, I can be trusted to identify and certify documents. Same goes for English Proficiency. Why an examiner? All these people have already passed a written and oral RT test in English. An instructor should be able to tick the box.
By SteveX
I rang the CAA today to ask why an ATO has to certify a copy of the reval page (so the CAA can tell the FAA my license is valid) when they have the details themselves already. I mean, when we get an examiner to sign off our reval he sends a form in right? So they have that detail. My point is why does the reval page have to go in at all. Answer was 'legislation'.
By kanga
SteveX wrote:I rang the CAA today to ask why ... Answer was 'legislation'.

er, actual 'legislation' (Statute) or Regulation/Order made under some Statute ? Amending former requires action by Parliament, latter 'only' by Minister (or, if empowered under Statute, Agency). So definitely challengeable as Red Tape, I'd have thought. Did you ask which Clause or Schedule of which Act ?
Last edited by kanga on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By SteveX
I didn't ask further as he had a stinking cold I could hear and got what I was after! But I rang back later to check they had received all 7 pages, yes 7 because I tried to get an official body to certify as I am nowhere near an ATO at present. The phone was answered within 10 seconds and off he goes to check. Comes back with good news the fax was received ok but then bad news, absolutely nobody other than ATOs can certify 'as nobody else knows what they are looking at'. But immediately follows up with the good news that for verification the reval cert is NOT needed! So excellent service from the staff again. But as far as 'red tape' goes I still have no idea why a reval cert has to be certified (for initial issue) when they have the data there themselves, but worse still the comment about an ATO because they know what they are looking at. All the certification of a photocopy states is that the person has seen the original document, not what its all about!!
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sillier as well, an ATO has to sign the copy of a passport when that's needed...?