Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By davey
AdamFrisch wrote:Just copy the FAA and be done with it. So much bolleux going on in the UK with qudrantal rules, insane transition levels and mentally challenged class A blobs.

Agree but there are too many W anchors who will be Harris covering for that ever to happen.
By bookworm
Perhaps "forces IFR to receive a service, therefore the infrastructure will be put in place to provide that service"?

Exactly. Which in low traffic density airspace is a complete waste of money because it addresses a non-existent risk.
By Adrian
I like having a service when IFR. Staying in class E and being handed from one controller to the next makes flights in America totally relaxing, and very different from the British equivalent of leaving controlled airspace into class G zones, calling up information services who will hopefully sort out a clearance to enter the next bit of controlled airspace before you get there, or leaving controlled airspace by descent into a busy traffic environment and having to negotiate your arrival with tower controllers.

I dare say one gets used to it, but I find the experience of IFR flight in and out of controlled airspace far worse than the US equivalent where one is always under positive control. Pilot workload is higher to the detriment of safety.
By bookworm
Adrian wrote:I like having a service when IFR.

I'm sure you do. You might like it less if you had to pay for it. Fortunately, the US taxpayer picks that check up for you.
By Adrian
I am a US taxpayer, so I do pay for it! I still like it. :)