Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
Since the introduction of EASA, examiners may now only sign a licence for renewal where that rating or certificate has expired by less than 36 months. Beyond this, an application for renewal of that rating or certificate must be sent to the CAA with a fee payable.

Under JAR-FCL this period used to be 5 years.

However, there is no reason why a CLASS RATING or INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATE once issued should not stay in Section XII of the licence, and allow an examiner to sign for renewal of a class rating or instructor certificate upon completion of the relevant requirements, however long that rating has expired.

Requiring renewals 36 months and over to be processed by the CAA adds unnecessary complexity and cost. Furthermore, the applicant must also await return of the renewed licence from the CAA before exercising the privileges.

Cookie

UPDATED 02 JUL 14: Partial Fix - See Information Notice 2014/109
Last edited by Cookie on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Bathman
Could not agree more.

I would love to see the argument that the current setup offer any greater safety benefit to what you are proposing (and how it was for many years)
By flybymike
The only argument is that the present arrangement produces fee income and the previous one did not .
By Bathman
Yes that does make me wonder.

But if it all went online and upon a successfull pass at a skills test. The examiner logged into the CAA webisite updated your details and could then print everything off. A bit like an AME does with a medical. The CAA could leavy a small fee say a tenner which the examiner pays. That way they will generate revenue and not have to do anything for it.

It might also insure that there database of who is current and who is not is kept up to date.
By Cookie
If it all goes online, then there is no need for a paper Certificate of Revalidation...Or a paper medical certificate.

We could then have a plastic card licence which would fit nicely into your wallet. :D

Cookie
By Paul_Sengupta
Gosh, that sounds like a good idea, wherever did you come up with that? ;-)
By Flyin'Dutch'
Cookie wrote:I was thinking you could then get it made as a plaque to put on the wall...

http://www.crewgear.com/default.ASP?WCI=Product&WCE=PPG

Cookie

I thought you did not like gold plating?

;)
By Dominie
Cookie wrote:Since the introduction of EASA, examiners may now only sign a licence for renewal where that rating or certificate has expired by less than 36 months...... Under JAR-FCL this period used to be 5 years.....

Does the first statement apply only to EASA licences? I have a lifetime PPL (1996) with an SEP rating which expired in 2009, so I'm right in the 3 to 5 year gap to get it back in 2014. I would think that the old rules still applied to old licences?

I thought I'd got this clear but then something else confuses me!
By Cookie
I would think that the old rules still applied to old licences?

They don't. Upon completion of your training/proficiency check, you will need to apply for renewal of your class rating to the CAA as the examiner is not permitted to sign beyond 3 years, which in turn will also require conversion of your licence to an EASA licence.

All the best, Cookie
By Cookie
I would like to draw your attention to the latest Information Notice, IN-2014/109, published today:

2 The Amended Procedure

2.1 The previously advised restriction that examiners must not sign the renewal/revalidation page of a licence if the relevant privilege expired more than three years previously is withdrawn. In circumstances where the examiner has the privilege to renew the rating (or instructor certificate) on the licence, he may do so provided that:

• the licence holder has complied with the requirements for renewal; and
• the rating/certificate is still shown in Section XII on page 4 of the licence.

2.2 Where the rating or instructor certificate is no longer shown in Section XII on page 4 of the licence, application must be made to the CAA for the licence to be reprinted to include the rating/certificate and for the certificate of revalidation entry to be made by the CAA. The published fee will apply.

Cookie
By G-BLEW
Excellent news, well done everyone!

Ian