Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Until recently I was the Trustee of a Group owned aeroplane.

I sold my share, and another of the 7 Group members has volunteered to take on the duties of the Trustee.

If I had not been the Trustee, all that would be required would be a letter to the CAA to update the list of Owners.

As it is, we are now obliged to re-register the aircraft, with the associated expense. (As an aside, that expense falls on the rest of the Group, not me as I am no longer an owner.)

Change of Trustee is a minor record keeping update; deal with it accordingly and remove the requirement for re-registration.
By Orac
+1. Waste of time coping the data from g-info back into the reg form, only to change the trustee.
By PeteSpencer
+1:

We have had the expense of re registering our a/c 5 times in last 20 years as members retire and trustees change.

Same aeroplane, same group, same core of members , needless extra expense.
By Keef
We registered G-UTSY to the limited company, which avoided all that palaver. I don't think you can register to "Trustees of .." in its own right, though: a human name is needed. That rule should change to reduce red tape if it is so - "Trustees of G-AERO" is just as meaningful as "G-AERO Limited". I don't know what the rules are for change of address - is that a simple form (it should be) or a load of paperwork with a big fee?

I notified the CAA of my change of address for my licence. The reply was that I had to pay a (surprisingly large) fee for a new licence with the new address. Since my old CAA licence didn't have an address in it in the first place, I declined their offer and told them just to "note" my new address in their files.
By Dave W
CAA Final Response to the Red Tape Challenge says:

There is universal opposition to CAA fees, which are seen as opaque, unrelated to the effort required and the result of CAA being a monopoly.
It is government policy that the CAA recovers its costs from those it regulates and to make a 6% return on investment. The charges are reviewed continually with industry representatives in the Finance Committee and all changes are consulted upon publicly each year.
The CAA publishes its scheme of charges annually. These charges are set and agreed with the industry in the Finance Advisory Committee, which includes representatives from the GA sector.

The above is under a heading of "Common Themes". Personally I do not consider it a satisfactory response, and dodges the issue for many examples, such as:

Fees are too high, lack transparency and have no clear rationale. £69 for name change on aircraft ownership document.

See comments on line 4.

The CAA publishes its scheme of charges annually. These charges are set and agreed with the industry in the Finance Advisory Committee, which includes representatives from the GA sector.
By Keef
When I moved to Suffolk, the CAA told me I'd have to pay a considerable number of shekels for a JAA PPL with my new address. I declined their kind offer, and told them I was quite happy to stick with my lifetime CAA one that has no address on it in the first place. I wasn't impressed with the idea of having to buy a new licence every five years (especially with two-yearly checks 'n things making it so easy to miss the "buy a new one" year).

This year I paid a lot of quids for a scruffy piece of A4 paper with stuff printed on it at all angles. You'd think that with the millions spent on EASA, they'd come up with a licence that would at least look the part (especially when it costs that much) .

My FAA one cost me $2 (including postage) and is quite smart looking and in credit card format. Somehow, the FAA managed to get all sixteen A7 EASA pages onto one piece of placcy. Who says the Americans aren't clever?

But if changing Trustee just means a "change of address" letter and not a complete re-registration of the aircraft, that's indeed progress.
By Dave W
Keef wrote:But if changing Trustee just means a "change of address" letter and not a complete re-registration of the aircraft, that's indeed progress.

Sorry, I may have misled you. The current situation is this:

If the existing Trustee changes their address, it's a simple form and no fee.

If the Trustee in fact changes to someone else: KERCHING! Re-registration and sixty-nine quid, chop-chop.
By Keef
's what I thought.

Register as "Trustees of G-ABCD, c/o 23 Railway Cuttings, East Cheam". If the main trustee changes, tell CAA the new list and the new address, no fee.
Which is how it works for "G-ABCD Co Ltd, Reg Office 23 Railway Cuttings, East Cheam". Why does it need to be different?