Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Unlicensed airfields should be allowed to be included in the AIP and be permitted to submit NOTAMS.

CAP 793 states:

In accordance with paragraph 1, the aerodrome briefing series of NOTAM (series A) will not be available to unlicensed airports.

This proved too large a hurdle when we (the LAASG) were concluding negotiations for training from unlicensed airfields. Surely an airfield with an ICAO designator, such as Popham, should be included in the UK AIP and be able to submit relevant NOTAMS.

This serves a dual purpose of promoting access to UK airfields to both UK and foreign users, and improving safety by allowing the airfields to publish issues which affect those pilots.

Cookie
Last edited by Cookie on Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By 172 driver
This is clearly something which will have to change if unlicensed aerodromes are to publish Instrument Approach Procedures as envisaged by the draft CAP1122.

CAP1122 comments:

Policy for promulgation of IAPs at unlicensed aerodromes (shown as Amber 2 on the
tables in Section 2 Chapter 3) are being developed within CAA. However, it is
recognised that a new UK AIP table will be necessary for any IAPs which are, in future,
established at unlicensed aerodromes.

If an IAP is published, unlicensed aerodromes will need to have the ability to publish NOTAMs.
By James Chan
This is how Damyns Hall works around the current problem.

It publishes NAV warnings instead of aerodrome NOTAM. All credit to them!

Q) EGTT/QWELW/IV/BO/W/000/999/5132N00015E001
B) FROM: 14/05/23 20:00C) TO: 14/05/25 22:00
E) LASER DISPLAY WI 1NM RADIUS 513210N 0001442E (DAMYNS HALL
UPMINSTER). ON-SITE CTC 07977 488830.
14-05-0506/AS6
LOWER: SFC
UPPER: UNL
SCHEDULE: 2000-2200
H1488/14

Q) EGTT/QWELW/IV/BO/W/000/020/5132N00015E001
B) FROM: 14/05/23 00:01C) TO: 14/05/26 23:59
E) RUNWAY CLOSED AND LANDING SURFACES UNAVAILABLE DUE TO MUSIC
FESTIVAL. WI 1NM RADIUS 513143N 0001444E (DAMYNS HALL).
14-05-0231/AS6
LOWER: SFC
UPPER: 2000FT AMSL
H1307/14
By chevvron
I did a similar thing for Dunsfold before I started temporary A/G work there a few years ago and the present incumbent has continued this. Bit of a hassle doing it via AUS but it can be done.
I tend to agree; if an airfield is allocated an ICAO location indicator, then NOTAMs should be possible to indicate the availability of facilities whether licensed or not.
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
*** PARTIAL FIX ***

Information Notice IN-2015/102

NOTAMs from Unlicensed Airfields with ICAO designator now accepted

Really pleased to see this just published for Unlicensed Airfields:

A new series ‘E’ NOTAM will be established for promulgation of information for unlicensed aerodromes. Subject to an unlicensed aerodrome having a four letter ICAO identification code, NOTAM proposed by unlicensed aerodromes will be accepted by the NOF.

:thumleft:

How about allowing those Unlicensed Airfields an AIP entry also, albeit with a caveat about the integrity of the data if necessary?

Cookie
By James Chan
A very sensible step in the right direction!
Let's hope they will allow unlicensed aerodromes to be published in future too.
By ratman
As a submitter of a vast number of NOTAM and being in a very privleged position to help shape and guide NOTAM policy in the UK, I can confirm that I will promulgate NOTAM relating to unlicensed aerodromes for things such as landing surfaces unavailable, intense or unusual aerial activity and anything else that could help out a pilot with safe flight. Such aerodromes without an ICAO designator will see EGTT or EGPX in Field A of the NOTAM (depending on the FIR in which the aerodrome lies) and then the location and lat/long in Field E along with the necessary warning info.

A small win but hopefully with great benefits. And a lot of this comes down to the great engagement I have with the community and associated feedback when I attend the various major aviation 'trade and association' shows on the ASI/CAA stand.
James Chan, Cookie liked this
By jeffg
ratman - I'm the author of Spine, a NOTAM analysis program used mainly by glider and hang-glider pilots. Please could you confirm that the Lat/Long of the unlicenced airfield will be present in the Q line as usual? Assuming that's the case and the airfield name is included in the text that should be sufficient for me.

I did try doctoring an existing NOTAM, replacing the ICAO code (in this case EGHI Southampton) with EGTT and I'm pleased to say it didn't break anything, also showing the NOTAM in the correct location. :)