Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By Bathman
I rarely fly MEP. But all of a sudden I might need to fly quite a few hours in a short space of time. In the past I've let my rating expire but when it gets to the 5 years (or I need to do a load of flying in one) I see an appropriate instructor get training as required and then sit a test.

Cost have already gone up as its now 3 years. And if I let it go longer than this I now have to do a full MEP course.

On top of this my MEP which had expired by 4 months when I converted to an EASA licence now has the rating on the back. So if I renew it by test I then have to send the licence off to the CAA to have it put on the front.

The out come of this is that it is no longer financially viable for me to keep my MEP rating current. Plus when I get notice that there is some twin flying to be done I need to be up and running in days. With the changes I now have to send it off to the CAA and wait for its return. Due to the time that takes its no longer logistically possible either.

Can't examiners be regard as persons approved/representing the CAA and therefore be allowed to write the rating on the front when its renewed?
Last edited by Bathman on Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The new JAR regs introduced for MEPs in 2000 decimated the MEP market.

Before then all I needed was one ME flight a year to keep the rating, and was still free to seek recurrency training as and when needed. Another example of pointless regulation, expense, hassle and inconvenience helping to kill off GA with zero safety benefit as determined by the CAA's own safety analysis.
By Keef
That's when I abandoned the plan to get an MEP rating. I think the blame goes to JAA rather than CAA or EASA.

Given the cost of fuel nowadays, I wouldn't bother anyway.